Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Catcher is standing on the back half of the plate waiting for a throw to tag the runner from third. This is a force out situation. Runner slows down and tries to poke her foot onto an available portion of the plate just as the catcher receives the ball. I called, "That's obstruction; safe!" Later, I thought about it and there was some portion of the plate available and I started to question my call...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Catcher is standing on the back half of the plate waiting for a throw to tag the runner from third. This is a force out situation. Runner slows down and tries to poke her foot onto an available portion of the plate just as the catcher receives the ball. I called, "That's obstruction; safe!" Later, I thought about it and there was some portion of the plate available and I started to question my call...

Speaking ASA

Thought wrong. Part of any base being available absolving the defense of an OBS infraction is wishful thinking.

If the defender doesn't have the ball, they shouldn't be anywhere their presence can impede the runner. See nothing wrong with the OBS call as the play was posted.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks. Coach asked about the call and didn't hear me call obstruction. After I said it was obstruction, she said thanks, turned to her catcher and explained the call and reminder her to give the runner access until she has the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Nope--fail. Should I have raised both hands and called "Time" then "That's obstruction--runner is safe?" Fail #2: I did not check to see if if the other runners should be awarded bases. Back to the book...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Nope--fail. Should I have raised both hands and called "Time" then "That's obstruction--runner is safe?" Fail #2: I did not check to see if if the other runners should be awarded bases. Back to the book...

DDB signal first; DB signal; check other runners (partner(s) should have done this); announce the call and award; turn toward D's dugout and wait for the DC to "inquire" as to your correct call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck