NFHS obstruction video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Finally got the video to play. Her initial set up would not have been an issue, but when she moved up the line she also moved directly into the runner's path instead of staying on the infield side.

May 29, 2015
At this point it is pretty darn close. You could argue the runner has a sliver of space to slide past the catcher and IF the catcher catches the ball before the runner gets there, there is likely no interference.

If you have to use that kind of justification, it is obstruction. Allowing a key hole is not acceptable. The runner gets to determine their path, not the fielder.

Yes, if the catcher has the ball when the runner gets there, obstruction cannot happen.

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, if the catcher has the ball when the runner gets there, obstruction cannot happen.
Hmmmm….maybe disagree here. The obstruction could have already happened. Definitely understand the obstruction can't happen after she gets the ball but she could obstruct prior to receiving yet still catch the ball before the runner gets there. Right?

Jun 5, 2019
Sure looks like obstruction would be justified if the angle isn't deceiving. Think about where the foul line runs (back of the plate) and look at where she appears to be set up, which is on the foul line. There wouldn't be any plate available to the runner. If by "in front of the plate" you mean towards the infield, then what you are said about where they should set up sounds correct, but that doesn't appear to be how she is set up in the pic.
So if you look at the field and the actual set up of the field the foul line is coming out of the top of the batter box. If you are running the line to the bottom of home plate the line does not come out of the top corner of the box ( at least on the field diagrams I have seen on usssa and usa site). And the other thing the Girl slides and gets the top corner of home plate with her right foot which is not impeded at all and her left knee would be "above home plate", it does seem her left knee does get my catchers foot but again her left knee is higher up home plate. So I get that its umpire discretion and all and I didn't argue it. Wish i would have asked the ump to clarify but didnt get the chance after, so that was my mistake.

Jun 5, 2019
If you have to use that kind of justification, it is obstruction. Allowing a key hole is not acceptable. The runner gets to determine their path, not the fielder.

So if the runner decides to run just inside the foul line in fair territory in line with the catcher who is set up just in front of home plate, does it still become obstruction? I mean saying the path is created by the baserunner and the catcher has to somehow know what that path is while they are tracking the incoming ball is a pretty tall task since they arent necessarily keeping their eye on the runner to see where the path would lead to. I know the standard is set up in front of home plate. Which is what we do. its just the offline throw, I guess I tell my catchers to step towards the ball instead of trying to let the ball come to them and stepping towards 3rd up the foul line, and to be at least a foot inside the foul line? I know my catcher takes a shuffle to the left and get that she may be covering a little bit of home plate but the fact the girl slid in and got her right foot on the top corner of the plate just makes me think that the catcher wasnt actually blocking home plate at all and was just above the path (thats why the left knee just barely caught the catchers foot)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
So if the runner decides to run just inside the foul line in fair territory in line with the catcher who is set up just in front of home plate, does it still become obstruction? I mean saying the path is created by the baserunner and the catcher has to somehow know what that path is while they are tracking the incoming ball is a pretty tall task since they arent necessarily keeping their eye on the runner to see where the path would lead to. I know the standard is set up in front of home plate. Which is what we do. its just the offline throw, I guess I tell my catchers to step towards the ball instead of trying to let the ball come to them and stepping towards 3rd up the foul line, and to be at least a foot inside the foul line? I know my catcher takes a shuffle to the left and get that she may be covering a little bit of home plate but the fact the girl slid in and got her right foot on the top corner of the plate just makes me think that the catcher wasnt actually blocking home plate at all and was just above the path (thats why the left knee just barely caught the catchers foot)

1682082564295.png

Just to be clear, no matter the way your batters box was drawn, both 3rd base and home plate are "inside the foul line in fair territory", so a runner running inside is actually running directly between the bases. And given a tag up play like this, it is the most direct route home. While it may be a tall task for the defense, they must not obstruct.

Had the catcher in this play eventually possessed the ball, it would be a much more difficult call, but I'd still lean obstruction. Since she never possessed the ball, obstruction is easier. Since she was safe anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Jun 5, 2019
View attachment 27830

Just to be clear, no matter the way your batters box was drawn, both 3rd base and home plate are "inside the foul line in fair territory", so a runner running inside is actually running directly between the bases. And given a tag up play like this, it is the most direct route home. While it may be a tall task for the defense, they must not obstruct.

Had the catcher in this play eventually possessed the ball, it would be a much more difficult call, but I'd still lean obstruction. Since she never possessed the ball, obstruction is easier. Since she was safe anyway, it doesn't really matter.
Makes sense. so if the throw is offline towards 3rd base, Tell the catchers don't go up the line to 3rd in fair territory cause that could still be obstruction, instead don't wait for the ball to get to you, step farther in fair territory and dive back for a tag??? Just looking for the words to tell my catchers so we dont run into this when it really matters. Thanks all.

May 27, 2022

At the end of the story, it is going to be the umpires judgement. Even here there are umpires that (respectfully) disagree on the exact application in this play. But a couple points to consider
- Once being played on, the runner is not to deviate more than 3 feet from a dirctly line to the next base. I don't care where the foul line is at that point
- The defender is not to obstruct the runner without the ball in her possession. As I think I understand it
- In NCAA, that means that as soon as the runner is headed home, the catcher cannot be in the way
- In NFHS, that means that if the defender cause the runner to deviate or impedes her progress
- To me, just getting your toe to the plate isn't enough - the runner should have clear access to complete the slide or run to the base/plate
- As long the runner has a clear lane to the side of home plate, any contact would be on her and not the catcher

I have 2 catcher daughters and would defend them, as you are, but I think in this case, unless the ball beats the runner and is secured by the catcher, it is obstruction. Catchers are in a near impossible situation to be perfect. Practice and experience help, but at the end of the story, there area a lot of moving pieces to expect them to be perfect in every situation.

May 27, 2022
Makes sense. so if the throw is offline towards 3rd base, Tell the catchers don't go up the line to 3rd in fair territory cause that could still be obstruction, instead don't wait for the ball to get to you, step farther in fair territory and dive back for a tag??? Just looking for the words to tell my catchers so we dont run into this when it really matters. Thanks all.
At some point, if the ball is offline foul, you're going to have to accept that the runner will score. Either you get foul well in front of the runner or after. If the timing is close, you catcher will either have to run around the runner, wait for the runner to pass, or obstruct - either way, an errant through is going to allow the run to score.

I guess, to answer your question, tell your catcher to avoid the runner and then go after the ball. (that is the safer thing to do anyway)

Jul 27, 2021
Obstruction

Good call and mechanics by the ump. (Lot of moving parts) SO SO SO SO SO RARE

Catcher WAS in good position then moved into the runners path standing between HP and 3rd. (I bet that got the umps attention)

The base runner started the slide early because the catcher occupied THEIR path. AND made multiple steps directly into the runner that would cause most to think a collision is coming. Causing the early slide.

The catcher never had the ball. The runner got to within a step of sliding and the catcher didn't have the ball.

I can see a slight deviation to the right that the runner started to make .....because the catcher was blocking the runners path.

I think at least one of the single variables would be a good obstruction call and very easy with the totality of the circumstances.

This should be a classic example and taught to every ump.

Post script

Last nights MLB Rockies and Phillies had a bad OUT call at home. The challenge and turn over was so fast that the broadcast missed it.

Now don't get me started on the youth softball game that other weekend with a play at the plate and others. The two ump game called every... single ...play an out. Both teams, every play.....OUUUUUT

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00