NFHS obstruction video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Hmmmm….maybe disagree here. The obstruction could have already happened. Definitely understand the obstruction can't happen after she gets the ball but she could obstruct prior to receiving yet still catch the ball before the runner gets there. Right?

I won't disagree then ... that reads differently than how I read your initial post.

Yes, the obstruction could have happened prior to the ball arriving.

May 29, 2015
I was a catcher, and a kid who didn't like listening to many of his coaches ...

Home plate is in fair territory. ALL of home plate is in fair territory. Third base is in fair territory. So if I can't block home plate, why am I standing in fair territory? It may seem counterintuitive, but stand behind home plate. Not only could I potentially obstruct from in front, but if I have to go get a throw, I have to come back to make a tag. In foul territory I have less of a chance of obstructing (not a zero chance), I have home plate in front of me so I can see where I am, and I can come straight down (or towards the runner) with a tag after I get the ball. I do have to wait a beat or two longer to get the ball, but that time is less than it would take for me to turn around and find a tag.

May 29, 2015
At the end of the story, it is going to be the umpires judgement. Even here there are umpires that (respectfully) disagree on the exact application in this play. But a couple points to consider
- Once being played on, the runner is not to deviate more than 3 feet from a dirctly line to the next base. I don't care where the foul line is at that point
- The defender is not to obstruct the runner without the ball in her possession. As I think I understand it
- In NCAA, that means that as soon as the runner is headed home, the catcher cannot be in the way
- In NFHS, that means that if the defender cause the runner to deviate or impedes her progress
- To me, just getting your toe to the plate isn't enough - the runner should have clear access to complete the slide or run to the base/plate
- As long the runner has a clear lane to the side of home plate, any contact would be on her and not the catcher

I have 2 catcher daughters and would defend them, as you are, but I think in this case, unless the ball beats the runner and is secured by the catcher, it is obstruction. Catchers are in a near impossible situation to be perfect. Practice and experience help, but at the end of the story, there area a lot of moving pieces to expect them to be perfect in every situation.

Not "played on." A tag. The three feet deviation only comes into play during a tag. The deviation also has nothing to with "next to a base." It is deviation from the runner's established path. As a runner rounds third, they typically swing well into foul territory. This is entirely legal. If a defender attempts a tag, then the three feet is determined from either side of a straight line from the runner's position to the base they are headed to. Yes, actually determining a base path is a physical impossibility as it is always in state of perpetual change.

NCAA does have the nice "blocking" provision which makes this much easier to call. It does not matter what a runner does or does not do if you are blocking the base. Yes, NFHS still bases this on the runner's reactions to the fielder's actions.

You are correct that "just getting a toe" or "leaving a sliver" is still potential obstruction. The defense CANNOT dictate the path the runner must take to get there. The defense MUST give the runner the runner's path and the total base to get to.

Feb 25, 2018
Not "played on." A tag. The three feet deviation only comes into play during a tag. The deviation also has nothing to with "next to a base." It is deviation from the runner's established path. As a runner rounds third, they typically swing well into foul territory. This is entirely legal. If a defender attempts a tag, then the three feet is determined from either side of a straight line from the runner's position to the base they are headed to. Yes, actually determining a base path is a physical impossibility as it is always in state of perpetual change.

NCAA does have the nice "blocking" provision which makes this much easier to call. It does not matter what a runner does or does not do if you are blocking the base. Yes, NFHS still bases this on the runner's reactions to the fielder's actions.

You are correct that "just getting a toe" or "leaving a sliver" is still potential obstruction. The defense CANNOT dictate the path the runner must take to get there. The defense MUST give the runner the runner's path and the total base to get to.
Would like to see the NFHS add the NCAA provision.

May 29, 2015
Textbook example. Without a doubt. The catcher was in one place (probably an obstruction, actually) and the runner had time to do something other than dip her shoulder and body into the collision.

Easy ejection. Don't let that escalate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00