NFHS obstruction video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
NCAA- would be an easy obstruction call. NFHS- I don't have obstruction. The runner never slowed down or deviated course that I saw. By the time they actually came together the catcher had the ball. As I was instructed by an experienced umpire "It isn't obstruction until it is."

I agree with this. I do not have obstruction in the video. The runner never changed her "pattern of play." She ran straight to home and slid as she normally would have. At the point that it matters, the catcher has the ball. Now, if she she had veered one way or the other before her slide (and before the catcher had the ball), now we have obstruction.

So why would we have it in NCAA? NCAA expressly states the fielder cannot block access to the base without the ball. She cannot be set up between the runner and the base without the ball. Before the catcher had the ball, she was blocking access.

You would think it would all be the same ... but it's not.

I would say this call would go either way half the time and the other way the other half of the time. I'll even admit I may have called it in the moment because the situation changes so quickly. (I would have been wrong.)

Feb 25, 2018
Copied the following from a baseball article on Referee.com :

So why is it called The Wedge? Think of a shape of a wedge or a triangle. The two sides of the wedge represent the path of the runner and the flight of the ball. An umpire using The Wedge would be in between those two lines to see the point of the play where the tag is applied.

When using The Wedge, some instructors say umpires should act like backpacks for the catchers while others urge umpires to stay on the catcher’s glove-side hip. Here are the mechanics of working the wedge:

• Locate the ball.
• Position yourself 2-3 feet immediately behind the catcher, lining up with the catcher’s left hip.
• Move in-step with the catcher and remain 2-3 feet behind him.
• Be prepared to make a final step — the “Read Step” — to see the tag applied. Marshall added, “Umpires need to take quiet, purposeful steps as the ball arrives to put themselves into that window to see the play.”
Thanks.

Aug 25, 2019
“hinder”: to create difficulties for

I’ve got obstruction.
My favorite word in the rulebook. I once called interference on a runner going from 1st to 2nd. No contact with 2nd baseman. Coach came out to argue that there was no contact, I told the coach that the fielder was hindered. He had to ask what that meant.

May 29, 2015
My favorite word in the rulebook. I once called interference on a runner going from 1st to 2nd. No contact with 2nd baseman. Coach came out to argue that there was no contact, I told the coach that the fielder was hindered. He had to ask what that meant.
🤣 🤣

"What is hindering?"
"Coach, did you see that?"
"Yes."
"That was hindering."
"That was hindering?"
"Yes coach. But I am umpiring right now, not teaching English right now. So, if you don't know that, why are you out here to argue this with me right now?"

Jul 14, 2018
Honest question for the umps here.

This is clearly a judgement call and can be a tough one at that. What’s the best approach for a coach in this instance?

“Blue, that was clearly obstruction.”
or
“Blue, my runner was impeded, can I get an obstruction there?”
or
“Blue, can you check with ump 2, that looked like obstruction to me.”

My own default is usually to be polite and ask nicely, but I swear that every time I’ve seen a reversal it’s been after a coach has come out fuming and insistent that they’re correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015

This is clearly a judgement call and can be a tough one at that. What’s the best approach for a coach in this instance?

or
or

My own default is usually to be polite and ask nicely, but I swear that every time I’ve seen a reversal it’s been after a coach has come out fuming and insistent that they’re correct.

Being polite will almost always get you more consideration than being a jerk. Politely insistent would be an acceptable tone. Also, your volume shouldn't be louder than necessary for the umpire to hear. I coached for several years and umpire now. I always found my best success with getting consideration and/or a call overturned was asking a question then stating what I saw. I had a reasonable number of calls turned in our favor this way.
"Is it possible she obstructed my runner? I saw her deviate from her original path"
If you think the other umpire might be able to help then I'd ask "Is it possible your partner had a better angle?" Instead of "Can you get help?" In a case like this or a simple tag play I wouldn't expect most umpires to go for help though.

Jul 27, 2021

or
or

Just yell from behind the backstop....."LEAVING EARLY!!!"....."INTERFERENCE!!!"....."OUT!!!"

Jun 8, 2016

or
or

As somebody who has made a fool of himself a few times at game (not arguing calls but still applies), it is always better to walk away with your dignity..

May 29, 2015
Good question to ask, @Rick M . I would say the important thing you mention is that you know it is a judgment call. That ends the discussion right there. Judgment calls are not for debate.

However, there absolutely are times when asking for a rule explanation or asking and umpire to consider "going for help" is appropriate.

I always found my best success with getting consideration and/or a call overturned was asking a question then stating what I saw.

Four components you need to be able to provide me with to convince me to go to my partner:
1.) What you saw.
2.) What you think I did not see.
3.) Why you think I did not see it.
4.) Why you think my partner may have seen it.

"Can you get help?" (I can, I'm not.)
"She clearly beat that." (OK, thank you for your unbiased opinion.)
"Can I appeal that?" (No, it's not a banana or a runner leaving early.)

You need to have a good reason, not "I don't like your call." Even if the call was a bad call, "I don't like your call" will never get you anywhere. There are many times when we know we do not have the right angle or got blocked out. We have to make a call based on the information we have. Simply explain what information we may not have and why.

DO ...
"Blue, I think you might not have been able to see the first baseman pull her foot from your angle." You are correct, we usually can't see that from over by the shortstop, let me see if my partner has anything that can help since she is staring right down the first base line.

DON'T ...
"Blue, she missed the tag on that steal at second base. Can you check with your partner?" She's 90+ feet away, at a 90 degree angle, and looking through the catcher, batter, pitcher, runner, and the fielder with a cloud of dust coming in with it. No, just no.

DO ...
Know what an appeal play is (it is a very specific set of circumstances defined in the rule book) and what we can and cannot do.

DON'T ...
Ask for an appeal on something that is not an appeal play or make an unreasonable ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00