Obstruction NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Ed - You have 3 BRs, with R3 being obstructed while RETURNING to 3B. Where else would you put the runners? If she was obstructed while heading home, and was tagged out, then yes, R3 would score, remaining runners would stay on 2B and 3B.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I agree this is the correct ruling. Just realize that I will most likely also have, at best, a HC restricted to the dugout, when I move 2 runners back a base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I agree this is the correct ruling. Just realize that I will most likely also have, at best, a HC restricted to the dugout, when I move 2 runners back a base.

Obviously some coaches will just handle that poorly, but the explanation is so easy I think you could get most to accept it pretty quickly.

"The obstruction happened while she was returning to third. It's my job to place her where I think she would've ended up without obstruction. Since she would've ended up at third, my only option is to return the other two runners. You're lucky the obstruction occurred, because if it hadn't, you would've had two runners standing on third, which means there's a good chance the defense would've figured out a way to get at least one of them out. Now you have bases loaded, so if you'll excuse me, I have to go deal with the head coach of the other team since he's screaming at me about how it's not fair that the runners just get to return to their bases when he's certain his fielders would've gotten them out somehow."

Feb 13, 2021
MI
so if you'll excuse me, I have to go deal with the head coach of the other team since he's screaming at me about how it's not fair that the runners just get to return to their bases when he's certain his fielders would've gotten them out somehow."

😒 Unfortunately, that is so true.

Dec 11, 2010
An umpire that has already decided he is going to have problems with coaches is an umpire that must have a lot of problems with coaches.

It just sounds sooooo fun. Wish I was there right now. 😐

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
An umpire that has already decided he is going to have problems with coaches is an umpire that must have a lot of problems with coaches.

You have to admit, some coaches are just a problem, as are umpires.
But having umpired for many years at many levels, I love the HS coach who has been nice as can be all day, and then along about the 4th or 5th inning he realizes he is probably going to lose this game, and NOW everything is the umpires fault? Even Susie who has a $450 bat and hits .098.......

Feb 13, 2021
MI

There is a difference between going into an interaction realizing that it is a minefield and going into it with a chip on your shoulder.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
The direction the runner is moving has NO bearing on where you place the runner after obstruction has been called. You will not find any verbiage in the rule book to support which direction the runner is moving. As an umpire I determined where the runner, who was obstructed, would have reached had she not been obstructed. If I believe she would not have reached home absent the obstruction, I place her on 3B. That would move the other runners back to 2B and 1B. If I felt she would have scored absent the obstruction, I score her and leave runners at 3B and 2B.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Does anyone feel an argument could be made to change this rule to a minimum 1 base award past the last occupied base? (This would align with that other stick-and-ball game that seems to be slightly popular)

Jun 22, 2008
Does anyone feel an argument could be made to change this rule to a minimum 1 base award past the last occupied base? (This would align with that other stick-and-ball game that seems to be slightly popular)

The obstruction penalty is not meant to be punitive, it is simply to award the runner what they would have achieved if they had not been obstructed. An automatic base award is punitive in cases where the runner would not have advanced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00