Obstruction call in LSU - SC game...correct outcome?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
In the LSU - South Carolina game in the SEC tourney yesterday, there was a play where the runner was obstructed going from 2B to 3B and then continued to try to score and was thrown out at home. After video review, the call was due to the obstruction at 2B, the runner is awarded home.

I thought obstruction only protects the runner between the two bases where she was obstructed, and she is awarded whichever base, in the umps judgement, that she would have made if not obstructed.

Was the rule applied correctly here?

Jul 22, 2015
I thought obstruction only protects the runner between the two bases where she was obstructed, and she is awarded whichever base, in the umps judgement, that she would have made if not obstructed.

That's correct. Had to be that in their judgement she would have achieved home had the obstruction not happened.

Aug 25, 2019
Hmm looks like the runner kind of intentionally bumped the 2B not sure if I would of gave her home.

I agreed with the call I believe it should be called that way. but I was watching closely because of the rule saying protected between the bases obstruction occurred. I think the rule should be worded easier to understand When player has opportunity to advance past next base.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Looks fine to me.

- Obstruction every time. Easy call.
- They judged she would have reached home safely w/out the obstruction, so correct to award home.

Not much to argue there. The rule is clear. She is 1 step out at home - and she was slowed at least this amount rounding second.

Great rotation of the umpiring crew on this play (note the PU goes up the line to 3B and the 1B umpire comes down to home to make the call at the plate).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Its unfortunet that ss made a terrible attempt to receive the catchers throw...and then didnt get out of the way sooner.
Then theres a moment the runner reaches across her body with her left hand and appears to touch the lower back of the shortstop. On purpose. I say on purpose because I don't think her hand naturally would have went that direction.

The runner was pretty sloppy leaving second.
And even Stumbled going to 3rd.
Then, already rounded 3rd is still looking over her shoulder at the coach & nearly shaving the umpire walking/standing in foul territory.

Did the runner have a clean shot at home....
Mehhhh thats a maybe/maybe not
She really wasnt an efficient runner with a clean performance.

Rule being whatever the rule is.
I dont think the error by the ss at 2nd should give the runner home when the runner stumbled on her own to 3rd.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Re visited what i wrote by watching video again...
Going with sloppy runner./cheesy grab for obstruction.

Please watch the video again...watch it all the way to the slo mo of runner getting up at 2nd...
Actually re-crosses the base to the far backside
(kinda happy feet style) and steps further toward the outfield actually putting herself more in line with the ss who did move out of direct running path.
Does this befor/in effort to-
Start running to 3rd.

After that shuffling feet debacle...
And your trying to squeeze out going home.
Your out!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Its unfortunet that ss made a terrible attempt to receive the catchers throw...and then didnt get out of the way sooner.
Then theres a moment the runner reaches across her body with her left hand and appears to touch the lower back of the shortstop. On purpose. I say on purpose because I don't think her hand naturally would have went that direction.

The runner was pretty sloppy leaving second.
And even Stumbled going to 3rd.
Then, already rounded 3rd is still looking over her shoulder at the coach & nearly shaving the umpire walking/standing in foul territory.

Did the runner have a clean shot at home....
Mehhhh thats a maybe/maybe not
She really wasnt an efficient runner with a clean performance.

Rule being whatever the rule is.
I dont think the error by the ss at 2nd should give the runner home when the runner stumbled on her own to 3rd.
couple of observations.

1. Appears to me as if the runner uses her left hand in an attempt to push/move the SS out the way.
2. I do agree that she delayed herself several times on the way home with bad feet and looking back but i don't think that fits into the equation of an umps judgement to her making it home without the initial contact. I'm assuming they are thinking" If everything is the same, would the runner had made it home if there were no contact?" to which the answer is yes. Don't think you can start making judgements on a runner's ability/efficiency and include that into the judgment.

3. And this is the biggie, is no one else not impressed with the 2b ump taking the throw off the lower shin and she doesn't even flinch? I've taken a few of those in that same general area while sitting on the bucket catching the DD. My gosh I would be on the ground in the fetal position begging for my mommy and an ice pack. Hats off to that blue!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Runner did a nice job generating that obstruction call. The throw Home was a bit slow and high because the defense was probably shocked when she rounded 3B with the ball in short LF. No doubt safe at 3B, but the two-base award looks a bit much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802