Obstruction NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
R2 on 2B, R3 on 3B, no out. B1 hits sinking line drive to RF. F9 fields it on the hop and throws a bullet to F2. R3 ends up in a rundown between 3B and HB. R2 advances to and is standing on 3B, BR advances to 2B on the throw from the outfield. F2 in possession of the ball as R3 retreats towards 3B and is obstructed by F5. Where are runners placed? (F2 is in possession of ball between R3 and HB)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Don’t we need to know how this play “ends”? The obstruction doesn’t kill the play. Was she tagged out? Did she reach third? Were there two runners on third and one was tagged? Which one? Can’t place runners until we know what happened.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
That one is easy, R2 is out (R3 "owns" the base) B1 (now BR) stays at B2. The obstruction call while R3 is between bases is the more interesting: Where do you put the runners?

Aug 25, 2019
Well I would say if R3 was obstructed going back to third and was tagged out, I'd say she gets 3rd base and the other runners move back to their bases. Now, if she was obstructed going back to third, but made it to third with R2 standing on third, I'd say then that R2 would be out.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I agree with this interpretation, just better be ready for the firestorm when HC comes out and 'politely requests' to know why you are moving runners R2 and BR BACK to B2 and B1 respectively when it was the defense that broke the rules.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Sorry for the missing info, R3 is tagged out between 3B and HB

Once the obstructed runner was tagged out, we now have a dead ball. Umpire should kill play, announce “ Obstruction” on this runner, and put the runner back where the umpire felt they would have made if there had been no obstruction. In this case with the info provided, I am putting R3 on 3rd, R2 back on second, and the BR a on first. The offended coach will come out, we will have a short conversation, and then we will go back to playing.
And yes, I could have scored her and let the other runners stay where they were. The only way I would score her is if she was going straight to the plate on the play, but since she ended up in a run down, she goes back to 3rd.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I agree with this interpretation, just better be ready for the firestorm when HC comes out and 'politely requests' to know why you are moving runners R2 and BR BACK to B2 and B1 respectively when it was the defense that broke the rules.
Because the defense broke the rule?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00