Obstruction call in LSU - SC game...correct outcome?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
couple of observations.

1. Appears to me as if the runner uses her left hand in an attempt to push/move the SS out the way.
2. I do agree that she delayed herself several times on the way home with bad feet and looking back but i don't think that fits into the equation of an umps judgement to her making it home without the initial contact. I'm assuming they are thinking" If everything is the same, would the runner had made it home if there were no contact?" to which the answer is yes. Don't think you can start making judgements on a runner's ability/efficiency and include that into the judgment.

3. And this is the biggie, is no one else not impressed with the 2b ump taking the throw off the lower shin and she doesn't even flinch? I've taken a few of those in that same general area while sitting on the bucket catching the DD. My gosh I would be on the ground in the fetal position begging for my mommy and an ice pack. Hats off to that blue!
2. Yes they have to make a call.
And dependant of what the blues are looking at 'within' the play.

3. Shin ding!
After the ball did that blue was looking to the ball going to the outfield...
Mmmmm'maybe not what the runner did 💁
Edit now see crabby_bob posted to this point ✔

:) either way the umpires played 2 vital roles in this!

Nov 18, 2015
3. And this is the biggie, is no one else not impressed with the 2b ump taking the throw off the lower shin and she doesn't even flinch?
Saw that, and can only conclude that either she's wearing shin guards, or (blasphemy alert!) - they cast the wrong actress for Wonder Woman. I would expect a grimace or some sort of reaction. Maybe after years of 10U, she's built up callouses for extra protection?

Did the runner have a clean shot at home....
Mehhhh thats a maybe/maybe not
She really wasnt an efficient runner with a clean performance.

Starting with my usual disclaimer - I know 10U/12U, and top-tier D1 via ESPN, SEC Network, etc. So I'm sure there's a WIDE range of talent across the college spectrum. But I agree with RAD - that was some poor baserunning. I don't know if it was intentional contact - I saw it more as a "hey, since you're here, I'm going to use you to help get me started" kind of push-off. They can't all be lefty slappers, but she just looked S-L-O-W. And confused, like she'd never been sent home on a ball to the OF before.

Also agree with RAD that she shouldn't have been given home. If the umpire is allowed to judge whether she would have reached home w/o obstruction, are they also allowed to consider that the OF may have also reacted differently w/o the obstruction? The LF grabs the ball, looks up, and seems to double pump or hesitate b/c as Strike2 mentioned. IMO she looked up and was like "holy *&!, they're actually sending her?!". Yes - she was out by only a step, but a clean throw should more than negate the lost step. If there was no OBS, then I think the OF might expect her to be heading home, and not have hesitated on the throw. I'm not saying I have a solid case on this argument, but I don't think awarding the runner home was the proper call.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Saw that, and can only conclude that either she's wearing shin guards, or (blasphemy alert!) - they cast the wrong actress for Wonder Woman. I would expect a grimace or some sort of reaction. Maybe after years of 10U, she's built up callouses for extra protection?

Starting with my usual disclaimer - I know 10U/12U, and top-tier D1 via ESPN, SEC Network, etc. So I'm sure there's a WIDE range of talent across the college spectrum. But I agree with RAD - that was some poor baserunning. I don't know if it was intentional contact - I saw it more as a "hey, since you're here, I'm going to use you to help get me started" kind of push-off. They can't all be lefty slappers, but she just looked S-L-O-W. And confused, like she'd never been sent home on a ball to the OF before.

Also agree with RAD that she shouldn't have been given home. If the umpire is allowed to judge whether she would have reached home w/o obstruction, are they also allowed to consider that the OF may have also reacted differently w/o the obstruction? The LF grabs the ball, looks up, and seems to double pump or hesitate b/c as Strike2 mentioned. IMO she looked up and was like "holy *&!, they're actually sending her?!". Yes - she was out by only a step, but a clean throw should more than negate the lost step. If there was no OBS, then I think the OF might expect her to be heading home, and not have hesitated on the throw. I'm not saying I have a solid case on this argument, but I don't think awarding the runner home was the proper call.
This was a fun and entertaining read 👍🏆

Aug 1, 2019
MN
This conversation is telling me that if this was the proper ruling, maybe the rule needs to be reviewed and possibly changed to keep the obstruction protection only between the bases where it occurred. There were too many variables added to the equation when the runner headed home to say it was all because of the obstruction.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
This conversation is telling me that if this was the proper ruling, maybe the rule needs to be reviewed and possibly changed to keep the obstruction protection only between the bases where it occurred. There were too many variables added to the equation when the runner headed home to say it was all because of the obstruction.

Which would/could lead to all sorts of unintended consequences, like infielders obstructing runners just before they reach a base to keep them from going to the one further...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just might be!

my college coach used to say look at the big picture. This conversation reminds me of that. If you're only looking for obstruction meaning contact you can find it. But if you look at its entirety of what happened ...
Looking for why that contact happened...
in my opinion is evident as it being the runners fault.
To this point the defense/ss had and did
get out of the way
Shortstop did already turned and stepped towards the Outfield.
If she had cleared a running lane shouldnt that matter?

Tooo much gratuity!

Feb 13, 2021
MI
maybe the rule needs to be reviewed and possibly changed to keep the obstruction protection only between the bases where it occurred

Using this logic, if a BR is obstructed just before 1B on a clean triple to deep right corner, you are suggesting she only be awarded 1B? The question an umpire needs to consider is "How long was the runner delayed and how close was the call at the end of the play. " Any other actions, runner stumbling on her own, hesitating, retreating to a base before advancing, are all moot. If it is even close it goes in the runner's favor.

As for the defenses reaction in delaying a throw? They caused the issue, they do not get protection.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I like the small differences between this obstruction play and the other in a different thread.. The primary difference is that in this one, the SS is not making a play on the ball when contact with the base runner is made.. So I think the umpires made a correct call!

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
It was the correct call. Everyone can dissect it all they want. The runner went to score on her own so to speak. There was definitely obstruction, and the umpire, was within his right to award home on the play.
Great call, that is why these guys were assigned to this game.

Jun 26, 2019
Here is my take on it:
The runner was looking for or at the ball and bumped the ss, so I don’t think she was trying to draw an obstruction call. I would say it cost her a couple steps, and she was thrown out pretty easily. For what ever reason she was late leaving she may have lost the ball visually for a second, slow to react, whatever, so I dont think she scores simply by taking the shortstop out of her way. Buuuuuut, its close enough It wouldn’t keep me awake at night.
To ask another question, did the 3rd base coach send her home expecting an obstruction call? I think so. Is that within the spirit of the rule? Would it be reveiwable if she stopped at third?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom