Obstruction and passing mayhem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
@eddieq for the win.

I believe the case play (and a similar one mentioned earlier) indicates that “they” want the out called for passing to kill the play (since obstruction is a delayed dead ball) and then negated by an obstruction award. In that case, the appeal would be the mythical “advantageous fourth out.”

As it seems most of us here were applying our judgment, we were not calling the passing out and calling the appeal the third out (which is in line with @Mike Hurd ’s observation).

Same result either way … no runs … but it is a great exercise on how to apply rules, as @eddieq pointed out! This is one of my HUGE issues with case plays, they should teach us how to use the rule book by providing explanations. Instead, too many orgs and umps use them to create new rules in some pseudo-secondary “here’s what we’re really going to do” book.

May 29, 2015
rule 5, Section 5 which says "No run shall be scored if a “fourth out” is the result of an appeal of a base missed or left too soon on a runner who has scored". My issue is that neither runner left early or missed a base so, how can this rule be applied?
IF no runner left early, you are correct.

The way the OP wrote the play, it sounded as if the runner did indeed leave early (appeal was granted).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00