Obstruction call in LSU - SC game...correct outcome?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There is not use differentiating "protected" and "awarded", they are the one and the same.. My point was that the ump felt like the runner would have made it to home had there not been contact, hence he awarded her home..

There is a VERY important reason to differentiate between protected and awarded. I can protect between the bases - but I don't have to award any advance if I don't think they would make the next base... this is important for below.... Obstruction doesn't bestow any automatic base award - where you place the runner is at the umpires judgement.

If the runner ran to third and stopped, he would not award her home.

Possibly... Stopping at third may have effected the umpires decision. They could have still awarded home. The advance definitely forced them to make a decision because there is now an out involved.

She would've stayed at 3B because she wanted to. The runner has to advance.

This is wrong. No they don't.

I have awarded 3B a player who got wiped out passing 1B and stayed right there on the ground until the play was finished. It is truly a judgement call.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Nope. I haven't fleshed out all the possible scenarios. I get what you're saying about a 1st base player immediately obstructing the batter on a base hit where the punishment is only a guaranteed single. On the flip side, we wouldn't want an obstructed runner on a bunt down the first base line to run all the way home knowing the obstruction protects her. All I am saying is when any rules committee meets (or however such things are done), this particular situation may be an example where the wording and intent of the rule should be looked at so the game can be played and officiated with the least amount of controversy.

I am good with the ruie as it is. It is not a new rule and it is just fine as it is. Nothing needs to change here - it is very clear how it should be ruled. This was closer than normal in terms of judgment,. but the rule works just fine as is - and in this case how it should be ruled on.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Did read all the post but she must be a great hitter because she is not a very good base runner. And as far as umps rotating, it almost looks like PU may have been the reason for her slowing down and doing the shuffle around 3rd base.
My question is why didn't the ump call obstruction in real time when he saw it? Why does it it take the coach to complain and then get the call?

Oct 24, 2010
My question is why didn't the ump call obstruction in real time when he saw it? Why does it it take the coach to complain and then get the call?

Umpire obstruction is not recognized by rule.
Umpires are part of the field and runners must simply deal with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom