Obstruction and passing mayhem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Heard about this one yesterday:

USA, 1 out, R2 and R3.

Fly ball to RF, caught. The throw home takes F2 up the line where she collides with R3, and the ball goes to the fence.

Umpire signals obstruction.

With R3 on the ground still dazed from the collision, R2 passes her and touches home.

The defense then appeals R3 for leaving early and she is called out.

The umpires ruled R2’s run counted. They argued that absent the obstruction R3 would have advanced home, so R2 passing her was not a violation. I disagree. Still a live ball and runners still need to legally run the bases.

The USA rules supplement discusses the obstructed runner still being responsible for not passing another runner, but doesn’t mention a runner passing her.

Anyway, not something I’ve ever seen, so thought it was interesting.

Oct 11, 2018
Here is a similar USA case play form March 2016. I think the umps got this call WRONG, although it is complicated. [Edit: I first posted they got it right, but the appeal changes it. Rule 5, Section 5, [No run shall be scored if a “fourth out” is the result of an appeal of a base missed or left too soon on a runner who has scored]

Play: R1 is on 1B with two outs. B4 hits the ball to the outfield and it rolls past the outfielders to the fence. R1 rounds 2B and is obstructed by F6 and goes down to the ground unable to resume running the bases. Obstruction was called. B4 passes R1 and is thrown out at the plate for the third out. No ruling was made until the out was made at the plate.

Ruling:
When R1 was obstructed the umpire would signal delayed dead ball. There are two possible rulings.

One: If R1 is passed before the umpire can signal dead ball due to an injured player, then once B4 passed R1 time should have been called since this was now the third out. Rule 8, Section 7D Effect 2. We should then enforce the obstruction and award the bases the runner and batter-runner would have reached had there been no obstruction.

Two: If the umpire determined R1 was injured and, in the umpire’s judgement, requires immediate attention prior to B4 passing the runner, the umpire should have called Dead Ball and awarded the injured player and all other runners the base they would have reached in their judgement. Rule 4, Section 10.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Interesting.

I wasn’t actually there for this play, so can’t really say if the obstructed runner was injured to the extent she required attention (I know that sounds heartless).

But thanks for the case play, it’s definitely helpful in thinking this one through.

Oct 11, 2018
Heard about this one yesterday:

USA, 1 out, R2 and R3.

Fly ball to RF, caught. The throw home takes F2 up the line where she collides with R3, and the ball goes to the fence.

Umpire signals obstruction.

With R3 on the ground still dazed from the collision, R2 passes her and touches home.

The defense then appeals R3 for leaving early and she is called out.

The umpires ruled R2’s run counted. They argued that absent the obstruction R3 would have advanced home, so R2 passing her was not a violation. I disagree. Still a live ball and runners still need to legally run the bases.

The USA rules supplement discusses the obstructed runner still being responsible for not passing another runner, but doesn’t mention a runner passing her.

Anyway, not something I’ve ever seen, so thought it was interesting.
In your play, there were 2 outs because of the caught fly ball. When the runner from 2B passed the obstructed runner, the 3rd out and dead ball should have been called immediately. Then as the case play indicates, we award the bases the affected runners would have achieved which is both runner were affected and would have achieved home. Then the appeal is a timing play. But there is rule 5, Section 5 which says "No run shall be scored if a “fourth out” is the result of an appeal of a base missed or left too soon on a runner who has scored"
"
Run should not count.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Interesting.

I wasn’t actually there for this play, so can’t really say if the obstructed runner was injured to the extent she required attention (I know that sounds heartless).

But thanks for the case play, it’s definitely helpful in thinking this one through.
See my edits. Actually Rule 5, section 5 disallows the run because of the appeal on the preceding runner.l.

May 29, 2015
The concept of the obstruction and the trail runner passing is an interesting one. The letter of the rule supports this concept: you cannot allow the obstruction to "create a roadblock" that prevents other runners from advancing.

The real question is do we rely on umpires to make this judgment call if the trail runner follows the rule and stops or do we allow the runner to "give the evidence" she would have gotten there absent the initial obstruction?

I'm inclined to agree with the logic the umpires applied: though the runner should not have passed by rule, the passing was only possible because of the obstruction, thus it should be ignored.

To the full play at hand though, @jackfrost nailed it ... the appeal takes priority over all of that and no runs can score.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
rule 5, Section 5 which says "No run shall be scored if a “fourth out” is the result of an appeal of a base missed or left too soon on a runner who has scored". My issue is that neither runner left early or missed a base so, how can this rule be applied?

Mar 1, 2013
As an ump, I love situations like this. It gives me and everyone else an opportunity to learn.

I do agree with jackfrost and TMIB that when you sort it out, don't count the run(s) but I don't think it's a "fourth out appeal" here (5.5.C).

Fly ball is caught for Out 2
R3 is obstructed and it OBS is signaled
Obstructed R3 is down and passed by R2
R2 signaled out for the third out making it a dead ball
Since we now have a dead ball, you award bases to the obstructed runner AND any runners affected by the obstruction (8.5.B.1 Effect 1) - so the out is nullified, award R3 home and R2 home. 2 Outs.
Defense appeals "R3 left early"
Appeal is upheld for the 3rd out nullifying R3's run and any subsequent runs (5.5.B.3).
3 outs, no runs. Ice pack for R3 and flame retardant pants for HPU.

I'll look around but I somehow doubt there is case plays on this one. I welcome any corrections to my thinking here.

Mar 1, 2013
Additional Info - There IS case play on this

October 2019 Rules and Clarifications

While the scenario given is that the passing runner was declared out but the ball remained live (not the third out) and the ball became dead when the obstructed runner was tagged out, it's the same situation (nearly) with the added twist of the appeal for leaving early. The "nullify the passing runner's out and award them home" effect is the same, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802