No they don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
I posted this on another board, and just felt like posting it here, as well.

Okay, I have to vent about this because it bugs the heck out of me every time it happens!

There is no such rule that states the pitcher must "present" the ball. NO SUCH RULE!! It never fails that, at least once per season, somebody gets it in there head that the pitcher has to show God and everybody, the ball before they pitch it. The pitching preliminaries state that the pitcher must approach the pitcher's plate with the ball in their hand or their glove, not both. Then the hands are brought together and they proceed to deliver the pitch. That's it. Nothing complicated. Nothing that says a pitcher has to "tip" the pitch by letting you see the ball, her hand, or her grip.

Let me illustrate. My DD approaches the rubber with the ball in her glove, her other hand at her side. She steps on the rubber and puts her hand in her glove. She moves the glove to her throwing side to adjust her grip in such a way as not to show it to the 3rd base coach. Then, she moves her glove, with the ball and her hand inside, to the front. The glove, with the ball and her hand inside, drop to her throwing side then push forward until she must separate in front of her during her arm circle.

Inevitably, someone gripes because she isn't "presenting" the ball.

Okay, rant over.

Please, before you scream that someone is doing something illegal, make sure you know the rule.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

I went round and round with DD's mom and original PC for a year until I found a copy of an ASA
rulebook in the presence of both of them at our indoor facility last year.

Even after proving there was nothing written about presenting the ball, they both still think i'm an idiot.

I may be an idiot, but I'm correct on this one lol. We also have an ongoing arguement about a riseball
rising as well. Good family entertainment I guess.

Jun 22, 2008
Let me illustrate. My DD approaches the rubber with the ball in her glove, her other hand at her side. She steps on the rubber and puts her hand in her glove.

No, there is no rule the pitcher must "present" the ball. But there is a rule that the pitcher must at least simulate taking a signal with the hands separated after stepping into position. Is your daughter pausing with the hands separated after stepping on?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mine isn’t, umps never called an illegal pitch but they yelled at her at a few times. :)

We will fix it this winter, throws her off when the umps yell at her.

(Nothing against umps, hopefully that did not leave that impression)

Jan 27, 2010
Cryslemc, ASA Rule states " The pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing it". I believe this may be where the confusion about presenting the ball may be misinterpretated. It never says presentation, however. I have witnessed umps telling the pitcher that she must present the ball by bringing the hands together before delivering the pitch.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think both Ricketts and Traina have a similar motion where they rotate their torso to the 3rd base side before throwing a pitch. The only rules I am familiar with regarding the presentation are that the pitcher is suppose to address the rubber before receiving the signs from the catcher, and once her hands come together in the glove, there is suppose to be a noticeable 'pause' before she begins her wind up.

Jun 22, 2008
There is no requirement in the rules for the hands to be stationary when they are brought together. In fact, the FED rule book specifically states the hands may be stationary or in motion.

Jul 26, 2010
It's the ball in the glove that's causing the issue. I agree, it isn't against the rules, but if she had the ball in her hand and not in her glove when she started, she'd likely never get called a have to deal with the drama.

-W

Apr 25, 2010
No, there is no rule the pitcher must "present" the ball. But there is a rule that the pitcher must at least simulate taking a signal with the hands separated after stepping into position. Is your daughter pausing with the hands separated after stepping on?

Yes, but that wasn't the argument. It was all about presentation.

Apr 25, 2010
It's the ball in the glove that's causing the issue. I agree, it isn't against the rules, but if she had the ball in her hand and not in her glove when she started, she'd likely never get called a have to deal with the drama.

-W

Eh, we aren't too worried about it. She has never been called by an ump, so it's really the other person's problem. Thankfully, she thinks it's amusing and it doesn't bother her at all. Actually, it winds her clock and 95% of the rest of the inning is K's. It just annoys mom, that's all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma