No they don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
This came from Cindy Bristow

Presenting the Ball: When does a pitcher "present the ball"? It's at the very beginning of the motion when she pauses for a full second and gets the signal. Now, most rules require that the pitcher present the ball with both hands together, but your rules may allow her to have her hands either together or apart. The reason for the term "presenting the ball" is because the pitcher is actually presenting the ball to the batter to avoid quick-pitching when the batter isn't ready. It simply means the pitcher must come to a pause (with hands either together or apart - based on the rules of your league/association) before starting her pitching motion.

Cindy Bristow's Softball Excellence Tips to improve softball skills fundamentals and performance

Apr 25, 2010
That is all well and good, Peppers, but nothing in the rule book says anything about presenting the ball.

Apr 25, 2010
Perfect Circle, I know exactly how it is done. My DD has had only one PC since she started in 10u and is now 14u, and that is Mr. Hillhouse, so I can assure you, she is perfectly legal. He would certainly correct her if she wasn't.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I just looked, Colorado uses standard FED rules. If that is what the umpires in CO are calling, then they have absolutely no idea what the actual rules are. Someone needs to hand them the rule book and point out the pitching section. By the way, it is rule 6-1, page 47 of the 2012 rule book.

Thank you Comp - the first time I saw an umpire call an illegal pitch he explained the rule as I wrote above. I just took his word for it (ha!). I'll copy down the rule and let our coach know. Thanks again!

Oct 19, 2009
That is all well and good, Peppers, but nothing in the rule book says anything about presenting the ball.

No use in getting you feathers ruffled, what I think CB was saying is that a pause and presenting the ball as a similar move. Although the rules book does not call it presenting the ball she is interpreting it to be the same as a pause. I have heard it called presenting the ball by umps and coaches myself. So it's just how it is interpreted.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Perfect Circle, I know exactly how it is done. My DD has had only one PC since she started in 10u and is now 14u, and that is Mr. Hillhouse, so I can assure you, she is perfectly legal. He would certainly correct her if she wasn't.

Except he won't be their when you face conflict with ump. I'd put a video on cell phone to show the umps in conflict. Also you can download a copy of the rules, and have them on hand. There is a thread on this site of where umps stopped a game for using Gorilla Gold, when everyone knows its legal.

Then you should have been happy to see my DD... approach from behind, keep the ball cancelled in the glove, shake off the call and hold for 1-10 seconds, collect the ball, then deliver it.

Apr 25, 2010
No use in getting you feathers ruffled, what I think CB was saying is that a pause and presenting the ball as a similar move. Although the rules book does not call it presenting the ball she is interpreting it to be the same as a pause. I have heard it called presenting the ball by umps and coaches myself. So it's just how it is interpreted.

I'm sorry it seemed like I was upset. That surely wasn't the case. It just seems silly that she would assume that is what is meant about "presenting" when there actually is no "presenting". I just wish people would lose that verbiage all together. It creates too much confusion. Especially for people who think they know the rules, but only have a cursory, second-hand knowledge. KWIM?

Apr 25, 2010
Except he won't be their when you face conflict with ump. I'd put a video on cell phone to show the umps in conflict. Also you can download a copy of the rules, and have them on hand. There is a thread on this site of where umps stopped a game for using Gorilla Gold, when everyone knows its legal.

Then you should have been happy to see my DD... approach from behind, keep the ball cancelled in the glove, shake off the call and hold for 1-10 seconds, collect the ball, then deliver it.

Truly, I'm not worried about it. She has never been called, only griped about by other teams. If she ever is called, her team coach knows exactly where to find the section needed to reference.

I was just complaining about other people complaining without legitimate reason.

Oh, and ASA does not allow any recording devices in the dugout. Let me know what happens when you give that a try.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Truly, I'm not worried about it. She has never been called, only griped about by other teams. If she ever is called, her team coach knows exactly where to find the section needed to reference.

I was just complaining about other people complaining without legitimate reason.

Oh, and ASA does not allow any recording devices in the dugout. Let me know what happens when you give that a try.

I'm like you, I'm not in the dug out, but I can get in the umps ear from behind the back stop. I got all kinds of recording devices, 3 HD video cameras, and phone. I put the stuff on laptop for DDs coach.

I'm hoping to help you. Never hurts to have all the bases covered. My DD pitches the same way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors