No "load" for pitching? Anyone heard of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This video around the 2:00 minute mark explains what the non-pivot leg should be doing if a kid is in the "sprinters position".

The emphasis on leg drive for lower level pitchers seems absurd to me. The arm supplies about 90% of the velocity of a pitch.
Until the arm is loose and getting a good whip, I'm not sure it makes sense to spend a lot of time on lower body mechanics.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I see this style. My problem with this style is it doesn't use any momentum. Pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly. Somebody said they look like a sprinter ready to race. So, imagine starting a race 80 or 90 times.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly. Somebody said they look like a sprinter ready to race. So, imagine starting a race 80 or 90 times.
That is an excellent point. If you include warmups, you are talking about 150 to 180 attempts.

The recommended number of full effort sprints at practice for runner is under 10.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I see this style. My problem with this style is it doesn't use any momentum. Pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly. Somebody said they look like a sprinter ready to race. So, imagine starting a race 80 or 90 times.
I am trying to understand what you are saying here.

How exactly do you know that "pitchers that throw this way are exerting a lot of energy on every pitch and get gassed quickly." That was a pretty factual sentence.

Shouldn't a pitcher be getting to this sprinter style position prior to leg drive for every pitch? So you are saying that using momentum is a way to cheat the amount of effort a pitcher has to give on each pitch to create leg drive?

My daughter is 13yrs old, 5' and 90lbs soaking wet. She has been pitching like this for over a year now and her endurance and stamina are just fine.

Jun 8, 2016
I know zero about pitching but I believe, because they are not elastic materials, muscles work better when they are stretched dynamically hence even if a pitcher gets into a sprinter's position doesn't mean that how one gets there doesn't matter. It is the same reason why hitters don't start from the launch position in their stance...

Sep 15, 2015
I know zero about pitching but I believe, because they are not elastic materials, muscles work better when they are stretched dynamically hence even if a pitcher gets into a sprinter's position doesn't mean that how one gets there doesn't matter. It is the same reason why hitters don't start from the launch position in their stance...

I think this is a good analogy. How you get to the launch position matters but also varies a lot by athlete, style, and “feel.” Some hitters have big loads, other have pretty minimal movements. My take on the current trend of “sprinter start” pitching is that it’s an attempt to simplify the takeoff to its essentials, a sort of punk-rock version of the pitching takeoff. But I wouldn’t describe the style as “static.” Just because the initial movements are cut off doesn’t mean that the athlete isn’t creating a lot of energy. They just are creating that energy with very little other (extraneous) pre-pitch motion. More of a bounce or pulse to start instead of a big, deep bend, lean, and push—all of which can be counterproductive if executed incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414