Pitching rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 21, 2018
n the conference held years ago in Botswana, a variation was introduced for the pitcher about the position of the non-pivot foot that must no longer be in contact with the rubber. This variation aroused a certain interest in me which, in my opinion, can be useful and perhaps would facilitate the work of building a pitcher. Now go beyond the purely technical aspect, having the freedom to have the non-pivot foot not in contact with the rubber, because the fastpitch pitcher does not use the positioning of the feet parallel and in front of the rubber (open hips), as happens in Stretching Position for the Baseball Pitcher ?. I am well aware that the rules have to keep the shoulders aligned first-third base, but this was, in my opinion, in line with the old rule that both feet had to be in contact with the rubber. To be clear my English is not the best, the shoulders would be 2nd base-home plate aligned. There is another aspect that I think is interesting, if I adopt this position what kind of sanction I would face. I found no punishment, so theoretically I could use it. I found this method of back chaining very immediate and with various favorable points. Once acquired this method does not exclude the starting mechanics with the hips closed. On the contrary, perhaps it facilitates it. Obviously, aspects of physical preparation etc. must be reconsidered. what is your opinion. Thank you in advance

Aug 21, 2008
Sir, I can promise you everything you're describing has been tried. If it was better (which it's not for various reasons) people would already be doing it. :)

Nov 18, 2015
Here’s the USSSA rule:

Prior to the pitch, the pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher's plate.

Here’s the WBSC rule (Botswana’s a member):

“The hips must be in line with first and third base”. No mention of non-pivot foot being in front or behind, just within width of plate, and can only move fwd. (i.e. no step back). Modified Pitch rules require both feet to start in contact with the rubber.

That being said - I don’t think what you’re proposing is feasible in the US, given the on or behind rule for the non-pivot foot. Maybe internationally - but then you have all the issues brought up in your previous post.

Is fast pitch mostly a men’s sport in Botswana, or is there opportunities for women to play as well? There been some posts on social media about efforts to introduce the game in Ghana (“only” a few thousand miles away from you!).

(Apologies for the font size - Tapatalk won’t let me change it after pasting from a pdf)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12