Newly ticked-off parent in need of Slugger, et al

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
A couple of months ago DD attended a clinic and a coach (and dad) asked her to join his 12U travel team after seeing her pitch. DD, who had only played rec ball, thought - great idea. So after paying dues and attending a dozen practices and a scrimmage we had first tourney this weekend. Team has 3 other pitchers, 2 of them are very good, but that is not a problem for DD as she will gladly play anywhere.

Ok so now after 6 games she has pitched 2 innings (1 hit, 1 run) batted last in every game she has played in and sat out 3 games completely. She DHed in one of the games she played, so she has been in the field maybe 8 innings.

Now granted there are 13 girls on the team, and a solid argument can be made that DD is NOT the best hitter and fielder on the team. Naturally, the coaches daughters bat 2nd and 3rd and haven't sat out an inning.

DD, who loved the game 2 months ago now has this "what the heck am I doing this for?" look on her face, and I am tying to smile and remain positive, though I am starting to wonder whether they just needed our check.

Any and all advice is most welcome.

Dec 21, 2011
The way I see it you have two options. Quit and go back to rec ball or work twice as hard as the other girls on the team so your daughter can improve and earn more playing time.

Mar 13, 2010
The way I see it you have two options. Quit and go back to rec ball or work twice as hard as the other girls on the team so your daughter can improve and earn more playing time.

Pretty much this.

Does you daughter want to play for fun and not be pushed? Or does she want to be the best softball player she can be.

Sep 17, 2009
That sucks, but you have to look beyond one season. She's made it "over" to the travel side. Take advantage of every practice, warmup, game, instructor opportunity she can. After this season, if your area is big enough, she can try out and likely make any number of travel teams and as she improves play a bigger role. She may also earn a role on her current team if she performs well. Either way, she is making progress toward something -- high school tryouts, one day playing in college, etc. -- that she won't make in rec. It's a process. Good luck.

Apr 13, 2011
DD absolutely wants to improve, practices hard and wants to be pushed. The thing maybe I do not grasp is this: She didn't try out for this team - they came to her. Once a kid makes a travel team, to me that means the coaches think the kid is good enough to play, and WILL in fact play.

I appreciate your responses.

Dec 7, 2011
Take the opportunity to check out all the other TB teams at the tourneys you go to. Odds are there is another team that is truly in need of a pitcher or is a bit of a step down that can use her and then she gets the all-important play-time.

If ya find another team to transfer-to be careful that ya don't burn any bridges cuz the sb world is a tight bunch and it seems like everybody is connected to everybody in one way or another.

My DD had a very similar experience jumping into an established best-in-state team with the coaches daughters thing too back few years ago. I do have a bit of a confrontational side and I am so happy I took the high road and just acknowledged it wasn't right for DD and left on good terms.

All is worked out for the best, ....on the other team DD has worked hard and got the pitching time. Now she is wanted all over the place by the select "best-in-state" teams.

I suggest - get her that pitching time. (I of course assume yer DD has the mindset that "she must be a pitcher".)

Dec 7, 2011
JillsDad - Ya have to adapt to the more business-like atmosphere of A-level TB. It can be a tough adjustment from the rec-ball domain.

It's probably nothing personal and these coaches are strict with the mode that universities and then rest of the world will exhibit. Plain & simple is that if you perform you will play. I have not seen too much "Oh Jenny sits too much on the bench we should get her in there" attitude from these coaches who are usually doing one thing themselves which is ----- surrounding their DD's with the best other players possible to give their DD's the best opportunity to have her noticed by a school.

Apr 13, 2011
This has definitely been a crash course in t-ball, and next year I will start by discussing things with a coach before committing to a team. First question I will ask: How many girls are on the team? Second: If we drive 4 hours to a 5 game tournament will my daughter get a chance to actually play some softball?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As someone else mentioned, start looking now. You should be able to identify and watch some of the games of the Teams you might be interested in. Up to you if you jump this year but start looking for next years Team now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Good luck to Jill. They recruited her for a reason, I would now sit down with the coach and ask the questions that you should have asked in the beginning.

If you want we can take a look at your DD's pitching. How often is she seeing her pitching coach? Can she reach the mid to high 40s with her fast ball? Is her change up consistently in the strike zone? Is she developing a drop ball? And also teach her to hit. She won't sit the bench if she can hit. Good luck, I know how you feel. We were almost all in your shoes at one point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck