Newly ticked-off parent in need of Slugger, et al

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I have very strong beliefs when it comes to ensuring fair playing time at 10u and 12u, even for competitive teams, and that's my major objection to the 13-player roster at these age groups.

You didn't know what you were signing up for, so you didn't know the questions to ask.

I think 13 players is too many to manage on a 12u comp team, but 6 games is not really a significant sample size. Getting only 8 innings of play in 6 games in January is not a trend I like, though. Assuming the team has played at least 36 innings, I would expect every player to have played at least 12-16 defensive innings. It's possible the coaching staff is just trying to figure out what they've got in order to develop a working strategy moving forward, but I don't like that much bench time at this age.

If a player was selected for a 12u team, then she needs to be on the field for an appreciable amount of time and based on the numbers you have provided, that is not happening. Again, though, I know the road trip was long, but 6 games isn't really a lot.

My suggestion is to have a frank conversation with the coach about the goals of this team. Ask whether playing time will be balanced or must be earned. It's a fair question. I don't have a problem with either philosophy, but I do think both parent and player should at least know what it is and then be able to use that as a basis on whether to continue with a given team.

As has been suggested, if you stay with this team, then spend some time looking around when you go to your next few tournaments. If it were me, though, and the coach wasn't absolutely committed to getting all the players significant innings in the field, then I'd seek out a transitional team with a much smaller roster.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
As a coach and a DAD, I can see your dilemma. But remember the perfect number for a ball team is 9, not 11 or 13. If your DD is not one of the "9" then she has to show the coaches what she has. Hustle all the time, even if it is playing catch with the right fielder to warm her up. Always be positive and cheer on your mates. If your DD can do these two things she will accomplish two things - 1. she will develop a work ethic that she will apply to everything she does in life and 2. she will be noticed by the coaches - probably enough to get some playing time.

While doing this though, keep looking at the other teams in tournaments etc. Talk to coaches of other teams in the area or parents of kids on those teams. Keep as many options open as you can. If your DD has made the jump from rec to A-ball she must have some talent. Use a good attitude and work ethic to get that talent noticed.

Good luck.

Apr 13, 2011
All good advice thanks. My DD and I just had a fun pitching workout and she doesn't seem discouraged by the weekend's events. I am going to keep quiet for now and see what transpires in practice (next tourney is 8 weeks away). Now to search for some indoor hitting drills...

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I coach 10U and have a strategy that seems unique to our area. We have picked up players due to situations like the OP states. I see teams eith 13-14 players constantly. Then we see 1-2 players with "scholarships" to play. Which is code for we were the highest bidder for a pitcher of catcher...
I coach a team of 11. Everyone plays both Infield and Outfield as I do not have a crystal ball to tell who will be the better outfielder or infielder in 4 years time. I do see merit in earning positions so we do assign infield and outfield positions based on practice efforts. Example: Pitcher/RF or 2nd/LC or SS/LC etc...But with that said a player can challenge for a position. And we open up tryouts for the position every summer. This allows players to know that if they work on the side to improve at a specific skill I will try and watch, notice and give it a chance to be seen and used in the future. Not everyone will be happy but everyone has a chance.
I feel that playing time is valuable to experience. We do not call them Starters or A or B squads. We call them Blue Set of White Set. Not allusions of a better set of players but rather two equal sets. We want players to have confidence in their teammates in order to not create hesitation on whether to go "that player" with the ball on any given play.
I think as a newbie you did not know what to ask or what the background was but now you know. I would tell you that unless you are told upfront your player will see less time and given a discount I would move on. These coaches promise the moon and then back track all day long when you are unhappy. Running 13 players on a 10U or 12U team is entirely too many. 11-12 is fine. We do it with people we know who want to stay in rec ball in the side as a fill in for emergencies. This was we are covered but the core of the team plays ball often.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
All good advice thanks. My DD and I just had a fun pitching workout and she doesn't seem discouraged by the weekend's events. I am going to keep quiet for now and see what transpires in practice (next tourney is 8 weeks away). Now to search for some indoor hitting drills...

I would nicely and privately ask the coach to ID a convenient time to request his help to help YOU manage your DD's expectations. Just be clear to him that you're not questioning his opinions, decisions or philosophy, merely just making sure that you understand them and clarify what she needs to work on and can expect for playing/practice time in the interim so that you can help manage DD's expectations. If you don't absolutely don't like what you hear, you can discuss whether he thinks the her fit with the team is as good as he initially thought. Who knows, he may be sending a message to you both that they would prefer you move on.

Apr 13, 2011
I have heard several suggestions about switching teams and moving on. Question: After writing a not-insignificant check for the season how can I leave after one tournament? Would you suggest I ask for a refund? Because I would feel quite awkward asking for one.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Maybe I missed it somewhere, and I know it's difficult to be objective. But Jillsdad, do you think that the starting nine are clearly superior to your daughter? Is she far behind them, or do you think she's on a par with some of them if not all? That can make a huge difference.

Some of the folks here are assuming there's a huge gap in skills but I don't recall seeing that. It could have some bearing on the advice you receive. You've said she's not the best player and you're not looking for special treatment. My question is whether she's far behind the others.

Personally, at 12U and especially in the winter I am of the opinion that you want to get all the kids on the field. Heck, if the team has been around a while the coaches already probably know what their best players can do. I'd rather find out what some of the others can contribute, i.e. what I don't know. But that's just me.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If you're leaving, definitely ask for a partial refund. Worst case scenario is they say no and you stick it out with this team until August rolls around. Best case scanario...you get a partial refund, are wiser from the experience, now know what questions to ask from the coaches and parents of prospective teams and you are able to find DD a team with which she will be happy as well as grow her skills with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd