New to Travel Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2019
This thread is great, especially this time of year. The "Crazy Season" otherwise known as tryout time.

I'll give you my experience, as I feel like I've learned so much in the two years my daughter has played TB. (it feels like it's been 10 years). The first year and half is a guide on what not to do.

July of 2018, my DD was wanting to better herself in the game and rec just wasn't cutting it any longer. So I planned out for her to tryout for 3 local-ish teams at the 10U level. The first tryout she attended they offered her a spot immediately. The coach told me we had 24 hours to secure her spot. As parents, we kind of freaked out, and accepted. We should have still went to the other tryouts, but didn't. Once practice started, we realized there were only 8 girls that actually made the team. As that season moved on, he added a couple of other girls. We weren't very good from the start, and the coach kept spouting development over and over again. They never got any better but he coached an older group that was pretty decent, so that clouded our vision a bit. By the 2nd half of the season, he was asking me to help coach in practices and then towards the end at games as well. He had personal issues with a few parents, but we were on the 'inside' and seemed shielded from it. So when it came to tryout the next season (July 2019), we as a family were all in. Basically an entirely new team at the 12U level, but I was helping more and more. Then the day came where I had a serious disagreement with his "coaching style". Well, we were no longer on the inside and being excluded more and more. It came to a head in November and we left. I actually made a thread here that I had questions on, but I don't know how to look it up.

Anyhow, we found another team a bit further away from where we live, mainly because I wanted to stay away from the politics in our home town. There are about 5 organizations within 15-20 minutes of my front door. So we picked up with this team in December. and this is the atmosphere we had been looking for all along. The girls welcomed my daughter with open arms and while she doesn't play as much as she did on previous teams, she knows she has to work harder for playing time. In addition, even though she needs to tryout for them for next season, there is a real good chance that she'll be playing 14U next season as an underager. She has improved so much under the coaching staff (especially the female coach who played in college). Such a better fit overall!

My point in this super long message.......don't hesitate to look for the right fit. It took us a little longer to find that fit than most, but we are super happy with the group of girls and coaches. Be honest with the coaches, and also be honest with your DD ability level. i.e., don't tryout for an A team if your daughter is C caliber and expect a lot of playing time in the beginning. She may make the team, but she'll be in full on development mode.

Good luck!!

May 21, 2019
This thread is great, especially this time of year. The "Crazy Season" otherwise known as tryout time.

I'll give you my experience, as I feel like I've learned so much in the two years my daughter has played TB. (it feels like it's been 10 years). The first year and half is a guide on what not to do.

July of 2018, my DD was wanting to better herself in the game and rec just wasn't cutting it any longer. So I planned out for her to tryout for 3 local-ish teams at the 10U level. The first tryout she attended they offered her a spot immediately. The coach told me we had 24 hours to secure her spot. As parents, we kind of freaked out, and accepted. We should have still went to the other tryouts, but didn't. Once practice started, we realized there were only 8 girls that actually made the team. As that season moved on, he added a couple of other girls. We weren't very good from the start, and the coach kept spouting development over and over again. They never got any better but he coached an older group that was pretty decent, so that clouded our vision a bit. By the 2nd half of the season, he was asking me to help coach in practices and then towards the end at games as well. He had personal issues with a few parents, but we were on the 'inside' and seemed shielded from it. So when it came to tryout the next season (July 2019), we as a family were all in. Basically an entirely new team at the 12U level, but I was helping more and more. Then the day came where I had a serious disagreement with his "coaching style". Well, we were no longer on the inside and being excluded more and more. It came to a head in November and we left. I actually made a thread here that I had questions on, but I don't know how to look it up.

Anyhow, we found another team a bit further away from where we live, mainly because I wanted to stay away from the politics in our home town. There are about 5 organizations within 15-20 minutes of my front door. So we picked up with this team in December. and this is the atmosphere we had been looking for all along. The girls welcomed my daughter with open arms and while she doesn't play as much as she did on previous teams, she knows she has to work harder for playing time. In addition, even though she needs to tryout for them for next season, there is a real good chance that she'll be playing 14U next season as an underager. She has improved so much under the coaching staff (especially the female coach who played in college). Such a better fit overall!

My point in this super long message.......don't hesitate to look for the right fit. It took us a little longer to find that fit than most, but we are super happy with the group of girls and coaches. Be honest with the coaches, and also be honest with your DD ability level. i.e., don't tryout for an A team if your daughter is C caliber and expect a lot of playing time in the beginning. She may make the team, but she'll be in full on development mode.

Good luck!!

This might be the thread: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/coaching-power-struggle.37729/

Lots of good info so far, and I only read the first page.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Here's the thread I started a few years back. I was feeling a little peevish at the time:

Jul 1, 2020
At age 11 first year 12 U how important is it to have very experienced and college level coaches? The dilemma I'm having is the experienced coaching staff team has 1 player (been on the team awhile and seem loyal to the family - if thats a big thing too idk) in my DD position and 3 in her other position (1 is coaches DD) she is ok playing wherever they place her but mentioned she would get bad vibes from them if she took their spot. My DD has also said she loves playing with the less experienced team cause the girls play well/hustle more and have similar attitudes and she gets lots of time on the field. At this age is it better to go with where she is having the most fun? How much does player development depend on coaching vs time on the field?
This is quite an annoying experience so far. Thx for all the insight!

Jul 9, 2019
At age 11 first year 12 U how important is it to have very experienced and college level coaches? The dilemma I'm having is the experienced coaching staff team has 1 player (been on the team awhile and seem loyal to the family - if thats a big thing too idk) in my DD position and 3 in her other position (1 is coaches DD) she is ok playing wherever they place her but mentioned she would get bad vibes from them if she took their spot. My DD has also said she loves playing with the less experienced team cause the girls play well/hustle more and have similar attitudes and she gets lots of time on the field. At this age is it better to go with where she is having the most fun? How much does player development depend on coaching vs time on the field?
This is quite an annoying experience so far. Thx for all the insight!
First, you sound like my wife, she is annoyed every time tryouts come around as well. :D

IMHO, College Level Coaches, have connections to get your daughter in front of actual College Coaches. There is no need yet to do that. My DD is only a year or two ahead of yours and we're not looking for that yet. We're on a team that has a quality coaching staff and are determined to get our girls prepared for that stage when the time comes. Now, where I really like the situation that we're in, is one of the coaches played D1 softball years ago and knows the ins and outs pretty well. I think that may be the unicorn team I heard about earlier. My DD also doesn't play the same positions as either of our two main coaches, so that helps.
As for the bad vibes, I think that mainly references past posts, but if your DD plays the same position as the coaches DD, then yours won't get any game time in that position. It's just how it tends to work, right or wrong.
If the less experienced coaching staff is making them hustle and they are playing well and learning, that is probably your best option at this point in the game. The answer may be different if she was 16 y/o.

I say let her have fun!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi