New to Softball... Advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Softgabby - Great advice! Your recent experiences on this road makes your input exceptionally valuable.

Pillband - Since you are totally new to the game, put a LOT of work on just catching. It doesn't even have to be in a catcher's stance. Just play catch. Being comfortable, efficient, and confident in your glove hand is critical. Also, read through the advice Softgabby received from DFP just a couple of weeks ago (http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/27397-just-started-playing-catcher.html). There is a lot of info that will help get you on your way when you're ready.

Mar 27, 2016
Thank you all for your suggestions!! I will definitely take a look and do at what you all recommended :)! I also want to thank you for your inspiring comments. I guess I'm a little pessimistic lol...all your tips and motivational speeches made my day!

And to mogsoftball's questions, I'm in 8th grade, which is middle school where I live. I'll be going to highschool next year, though. I'm just trying to learn the basics right now to get to a higher level and hopefully later on, I will join a travel team. I can't join a local rec team because registration was in January...I was too late :(.

Also to Softgabby, I looked up Jenn Schroder on Youtube I found only content about a singer..???

Lastly, I’m sorry, but another question that just popped up: Since I’m not on team, because like stated earlier, registration was in January and because my middle school does not offer softball, and none of my family and friends are sportsy at all or are interested in softball (which means they can’t help coach me) (also those three ands make me cringe but shhhh..), should I take private lessons or something like that? I’m afraid that if I practice by myself I will do something wrong and create some bad habits. Is it okay to take private lessons even without having a team?

There will be fall registration in July that will last all summer and to the beginning of the school year, which I'm excited to enroll for. The problem is, my mom likes to travel A LOT so that means if I join a team, I will have to miss some practices and stuff (at minimum three weeks..). Will that hinder me from being able to join a team? I want to play softball so bad (sobbing rn).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just do the best you can with whatever resources you have. If you have any friends currently playing, see if they will get together with you to play catch, or maybe help you work on your skills. Find out where and when teams are practicing, and just go watch the practices. There is a lot to be learned from just watching. Even though your goal is to be a catcher, ALL players must learn fundamental fielding, throwing, and hitting skills. Learn everything you can.

Check out the info in the thread I linked before. It includes information from Jen Schroeder (aka Jen Schro Catching), New England Catching Camp, and other good sources.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thank you all for your suggestions!! I will definitely take a look and do at what you all recommended :)! I also want to thank you for your inspiring comments. I guess I'm a little pessimistic lol...all your tips and motivational speeches made my day!

And to mogsoftball's questions, I'm in 8th grade, which is middle school where I live. I'll be going to highschool next year, though. I'm just trying to learn the basics right now to get to a higher level and hopefully later on, I will join a travel team. I can't join a local rec team because registration was in January...I was too late :(.

Also to Softgabby, I looked up Jenn Schroder on Youtube I found only content about a singer..???

Lastly, I’m sorry, but another question that just popped up: Since I’m not on team, because like stated earlier, registration was in January and because my middle school does not offer softball, and none of my family and friends are sportsy at all or are interested in softball (which means they can’t help coach me) (also those three ands make me cringe but shhhh..), should I take private lessons or something like that? I’m afraid that if I practice by myself I will do something wrong and create some bad habits. Is it okay to take private lessons even without having a team?

There will be fall registration in July that will last all summer and to the beginning of the school year, which I'm excited to enroll for. The problem is, my mom likes to travel A LOT so that means if I join a team, I will have to miss some practices and stuff (at minimum three weeks..). Will that hinder me from being able to join a team? I want to play softball so bad (sobbing rn).

I know you are new to catching but here's a thought...find pitching instructors in your area and offer to catch their students. And if you can find a catching instructor, that will be a huge help...but they are few and far between. I agree with the PP's suggestion to learn/study the NECC instruction material. If you can study these, you can try to implement what you learn from the NECC into practicing while catching pitchers. You might find an instructor willing to implement throw downs between his/her lessons.

Another thing...you said you weren't good at thinking up plans quickly? I have to say it sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders and are thinking just fine!! The reaction/thinking will come with practice/experience.

Good luck!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Just do the best you can with whatever resources you have. If you have any friends currently playing, see if they will get together with you to play catch, or maybe help you work on your skills. Find out where and when teams are practicing, and just go watch the practices. There is a lot to be learned from just watching. Even though your goal is to be a catcher, ALL players must learn fundamental fielding, throwing, and hitting skills. Learn everything you can.

Check out the info in the thread I linked before. It includes information from Jen Schroeder (aka Jen Schro Catching), New England Catching Camp, and other good sources.

This is some excellent advice.

My youngest DD is 14 now, in the 8th grade. She learned about softball before she played rec ball by helping her older sister practice. She was always available to throw and catch the ball, or to toss the ball to her sister for batting practice. She actually enjoyed that part, which is why she is now a pitcher. She also plays a lot of other positions, and is the emergency catcher for her travel team.

A few more bits of advice:

First, SOME rec ball leagues will let girls join past the registration date, IF games have not started yet. I don't know about the rec ball where you live, or when they start. In Wisconsin the 8th and 9th grade girls are in the same age group, and they have to wait until after the HS season is over to play, so latecomers can join really late.

Second, the advice to ask rec ball coaches to watch their practices is great, esp. if you have friends on the team. A lot of coaches will even let you practice with the team. As I mentioned about my youngest, she learned a lot about the game by practicing long before she played any games.

Third, you will really need to take the initiative on this. Your family situation is wonderful in some ways, but puts you at a disadvantage for softball. So, YOU have to take the lead on this. YOU have to be the one to find girls who might want to practice with you, or pitchers who would want you to catch for them, or whatever. The skills you will learn while doing this will last you the rest of your life, though.

Mar 27, 2016
Alright thank you to everyone who replied to this thread !! Sorry I haven't replied in a few days, because I accidentally forgot my password hahaha //sweats.

All these replies are really great and good advice. Haha I would reply to each and everyone of you but I'm too lazy ooPS. I am doing what each and everyone of you told me, and so far, it's been working out great! NECC and Jen Schroeder have been a really great source of information about catching to me!

So I called the rec team, and they said they didn't have any space 'till the summer, but that's ok. I haven't yet asked them if I can watch them practice, but I will soon. For now, I am just preparing by doing the fundamentals (as you guys suggested) and workouts that will help my muscles in softball :). After all, you can't build a roof if you don't have the foundation amirite?

If any of you have anything else to say or just want to say hi or something you can always message me or just add another reply!

and once again thank you all!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32