new recruiting (grades and classes) guidelines. NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the link. DD is 13 and homeschooled, and we really need to make sure we know that she is on the right path regarding NCAA eligibility. Your post was an excellent reminder! Thanks again.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Meet the new D1 academic requirements that take affect for the class of 2015 and beyond:

■The minimum core course GPA has increased from 2.00 to 2.30
■10 of the 16 core course requirements must be satisfied prior to the start of the seventh semester (senior year)
■7 of those 10 core courses must be from the English, Math and Science subsections
■Grades earned in the those 10 core courses are "locked in" for the purpose of calculating the final core course GPA
■Any retakes of the first 10 core courses for grade improvement must be completed prior to senior year

Maybe I'm crazy but unless you are from a severely disadvataged home or english is not your first language those seem like awfuly low standards to have to meet.

Mind you I'm very sympathetic to non-native speakers and single parent kids in poor neighboorhoods, I can't imangine most of the problems that face such kids as I've never had to experience that myself first hand but I would think that is a small minority of the incoming D1 population. No?

I mean a C+ average hardly seems academically rigorous. But then my wife thinks our kids need tutoring if they get a B in any class which I personally think is off the deep end. So maybe I'm just coming from different place.

Feb 21, 2012
I agree with Sweet Lou, this doesnt seem to rigorous to me. If a student isnt making a "C" in the class they shouldnt be in sports no matter how much they love it. Education is more important (that comming from someone that lives and breathes sports year around). We as parents and coaches should be thinking this new rule is a great one if we care about our kids.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
"I would also recommend that 8th graders begin to familiarize themselves with their high school's list of approved NCAA core courses. Why? Because 8th graders will soon be registering for freshman classes and the first high school semester is critical in starting on the proper academic path. It is not uncommon to satisfy up to 33% of the NCAA core course requirements during the freshman year. Without knowledge of their school’s core courses and the NCAA’s requirements, it is very easy to dig an academic hole that could ultimately cost an athlete a scholarship opportunity."

This point alone has tripped up more HS players than anything else I have encountered. And I would suggest that the "redshirt" option is a long-shot for the average player. Why add to the "unable to play" list before enrollment?

Overall I think this is good. But as jinjet95 said, it will affect football and basketball more than golf or softball. There has been a downward pull on Univ academics for a few decades, and basketball coach John Thompson at Georgetown Univ was a big leader of this movement to reduce academic standards. It aggravated me because kids are not at the Univ to play sports. Basketball is just an opportunity to represent your school. If you think it is a joke, just ask some coaches, sometimes even softball coaches at mid-level schools, how much they have to stay on top of class attendance! Too many athletes, and I saw many, just attend school until they can get drafted, or somehow get a diploma for the next step with minimal or not academic effort.

I applaud the new standards. But if you really think about this issue objectively, since 74% of all HS graduates who attend universities now require remedial education after arriving on campus, is this a problem with the University?

I once received a letter of introduction from a Senior in HS for consideration. The text was equivalent to 1/2 of MY input here. There were 24 spelling errors in two paragraphs. Do you think that might make an impression on a college coach? What did this tell me about this prospective athlete? One, that she may not consider her academics a high enough priority, and secondly that her parents are not very involved with her. Now the later may not seem important, but in the recruiting process every family situation is considered. If I knew things about the parents, dad or mom, that might reflect badly on the prospects upbringing, I would certainly make a footnote!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877