New Guidelines For The Team ~ What will your team do? What to expect.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Florida started Phase I on May 4. Currently, groups of more than 10 are prohibited which precludes practice, tryouts or games/tournaments. Interestingly, the UFC and WWE have been deemed essential businesses and are allowed to hold events without spectators. The task force has recommended that sporting events with limited spectators be allowed in Phase II, although the governor may or may not follow that recommendation. The timing of Phase II depends on how many new cases occur during Phase I. It’s basically a wait and see approach. I don’t think there is any specific time frame before Phase II may begin.

Nov 5, 2014
Never liked the idea of "needing" to travel. You have to go to 4 or 5 out of state tournaments a year otherwise your DD will NEVER get recruited.
Being from the Northeast that is nothing for players looking to be recruited. DD's team plays 0 tournaments in state and had 3 fly away tournaments...just in the fall on consecutive weekends during the 6 week live period. The comical part is you often need to travel to be seen by Northeastern schools because that is where they go to recruit. So we fly from NY to Georgia for a school in New Hampshire to watch us play

Apr 28, 2014
Being from the Northeast that is nothing for players looking to be recruited. DD's team plays 0 tournaments in state and had 3 fly away tournaments...just in the fall on consecutive weekends during the 6 week live period. The comical part is you often need to travel to be seen by Northeastern schools because that is where they go to recruit. So we fly from NY to Georgia for a school in New Hampshire to watch us play

That's because the coach is in Georgia to see the best of the best. If the best of the best were playing in New Hampshire or NY that coach wouldn't be in Georgia.
People always ask me "why do you need to travel all over the play softball ". I reply "we can play softball anywhere, but the best of the best meet in few places and get better by playing each other.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
We surveyed our team today, all 12 girls were 'in'. But we are convinced there will be no tournaments so most teams in the area are looking to form a summer league and just play games one on one. Right now it looks like masks will be required but that could change. If a league can't be formed then teams will set up games on their own with other teams. There are other social distancing requirements, no team meetings between innings, there might also be a one parent per player limit to keep the number under the state limit of 50.

Nov 5, 2014
That's because the coach is in Georgia to see the best of the best. If the best of the best were playing in New Hampshire or NY that coach wouldn't be in Georgia.
People always ask me "why do you need to travel all over the play softball ". I reply "we can play softball anywhere, but the best of the best meet in few places and get better by playing each other.
I agree with you 1000% DD's team started traveling to the South twice a year at 12u, Before recruiting was a major motivation. Her coach wanted to challenge them against the best.

But now that the trips are much more frequent and recruiting motivated I still find humor sitting in Alabama watching our team from NY with coaches from NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA, NH behind the backstop watching.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good discussions!

DFP gives viewpoints from all over the nation. Can read with certainty softball has diversity State to State. Which think is good. Opportunity is good, choices are good, its good for softball.
Which also points out,
How states re-open looks like have different stages, or rather, different things in each stage!
Because of this,
Have read people may consider driving to neighboring states to play.
Now maybe some that always stayed local will travel?!

To the discussion of travel to events. If people always played local, no-one would see what everyone else is doing.
Limiting seeing a bigger picture.

College coaches know there are different levels of talent.
Not every player fits in the same talent pool.
Its true they select certain events to attend that showcase the talent pool they are interested in.
As well players attend those events to be seen by colleges they want to attend.

This is showcased in barely a few months a year. Recruiting Coaches try to see as much talent pool as they can in short amount of time.
Its good to plan your goals ahead of time to participate in the best events for your talent pool.
Plan to be in the best place at the right time!

To get back on topic
What will your team do to start practicing or playing again?
Perhaps thinking through guidelines in your state.
Perhaps atleast TINY groups under 10 or 50 can go out and get live grounders, flyballs, live hitting.
Other states may play games say in July?
If there are going to be any showcasing events this summer,
Like pgf, or regionals in your area are hoping to do...
*What guidelines will your team implement to play?

The message....
"PLAN" TO PLAY,

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I know many people will disagree with me, but guidelines we give our kids should not focus on freaking out if a face is touched or hugging a friend you haven't seen for a while, but rather keep your distance from grandma, grandpa, and your Uncle Louie with asthma.
And what if that kid lives with Grandma, Grandpa.. what if you are a parent with Asthma, heart condition, Diabetes etc. Not every kid is fortunate enough to be living with a house full of healthy individuals.

And what if that kid lives with Grandma, Grandpa.. what if you are a parent with Asthma, heart condition, Diabetes etc. Not every kid is fortunate enough to be living with a house full of healthy individuals.

Then that kid should probably consider not participating and should avoid social contact. The decision to participate, when to participate and how to participate is always going to be (as it should be) an individual decision BUT others should not be prohibited from or saddled with unnecessary requirements when they have made their decision.

This is not a one size fits all situation and quite frankly, I think the more "requirements" clubs, teams and organizations put on returning to play the more they open themselves up for additional scrutiny and potential liability.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia

I think, unfortunately, that is an issue for those specific families. They will need to make the choice to not participate, not the other way around.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Make no mistake, there will be a new normal for everything including softball. That new normal should NOT be monitoring face touching and washing hands every 5 minutes. Spacing in the bench, ball changes/cleanings, no high fives, etc., those are risk mitigations that will not take away from the game.

Quite honestly, if you have 18+ girls in the field playing ball and are at a game with 40+ players/parents, you have already decided to take the risk.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying