New Guidelines For The Team ~ What will your team do? What to expect.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
@rollinghard
You do realize this is risk mitigation?
Lessoning risk, not neccessarily getting rid of risk.
Glad you "liked" JayW post saying continue taking precautions.
Hope your dd team can start atleast practicing soon.
I think that few people have a problem with washing hands, equipment and balls at regular intervals. Nobody objects to avoiding high fives and handshakes and pregame huddles. i will gladly sit 6 feet away from the other spectators. But rundowns, tags, throwdowns and the holy trinity clustered around home plate (batter, catcher and ump) are an inevitable component of the game. Are we going to stop hitting pregame grounders to the team? Are we going to clean all the batting practice balls after they are hit into the net and collected? You either play or you don’t. Kind of like there being no such thing as being a little bit pregnant.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think that few people have a problem with washing hands, equipment and balls at regular intervals. Nobody objects to avoiding high fives and handshakes and pregame huddles. i will gladly sit 6 feet away from the other spectators. But rundowns, tags, throwdowns and the holy trinity clustered around home plate (batter, catcher and ump) are an inevitable component of the game. Are we going to stop hitting pregame grounders to the team? Are we going to clean all the batting practice balls after they are hit into the net and collected? You either play or you don’t. Kind of like there being no such thing as being a little bit pregnant.
Completely understand!
Btw, Well written posts JayW.
Interesting tho, say/think what we will about it.
Guidelines are happening.
To Lesson Risk.

I get it, to have an opinion on the guidelines, then theres...
The question
Are you going to play?
Comply or dont play?

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
How is that even remotely possible? The batter, catcher and ump are in violation always. And every player will be in the box during the game. What happens when the runner steals 2nd and the SS falls on top of the runner? Happens almost every game. You can not practice social distancing and play softball. Let's stop pretending we can.
The choice is much more binary. Play softball at risk or wait for vaccine.

I know it wasn't clear, however, I made only a slight reference (No changes to the game played). Social distancing with regards to everyone else at the friendlies snackbar, etc.

Oct 14, 2019
Completely understand!
Btw, Well written posts JayW.
Interesting tho, say/think what we will about it.
Guidelines are happening.
To Lesson Risk.

So i get it to have an opionion.
Then the question
Are you going to play?
Comply or dont play?
we will comply and play. we are in orlando and are comfortable at this point with the risk. it’s always subject to change. no interest in traveling to tournaments outside the local area or staying overnight.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
@rollinghard
You do realize this is risk mitigation?
Lessoning risk, not neccessarily getting rid of risk.

Glad you "liked" JayW post regarding continue taking precautions.
Hope your dd team can start atleast practicing soon.
I get it, but if you are trying to make insurance companies happy they aren't going for it. Everybody is going to have to sign a waiver that puts all the risk on the individual. Putting in these rules will make some people feel better (safer) but in reality do very little. Kinda like going on a see food diet.
I am for playing now. Nothing changes in a week or a month. The virus will still be here. Grandparents are going to have to be careful or watch it on gamechanger. Lack of UMPS maybe the biggest problem. We are going to see games (friendlies) umped by ACs or volunteers. I should go by some gear. Ump fees are going to go up! I have ump from behind the pitcher a few times when the ump was a no show. It is not as easy as it looks.

Aug 25, 2019
I get it, but if you are trying to make insurance companies happy they aren't going for it. Everybody is going to have to sign a waiver that puts all the risk on the individual. Putting in these rules will make some people feel better (safer) but in reality do very little. Kinda like going on a see food diet.
I am for playing now. Nothing changes in a week or a month. The virus will still be here. Grandparents are going to have to be careful or watch it on gamechanger. Lack of UMPS maybe the biggest problem. We are going to see games (friendlies) umped by ACs or volunteers. I should go by some gear. Ump fees are going to go up! I have ump from behind the pitcher a few times when the ump was a no show. It is not as easy as it looks.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have done it. You have to go in with a very decisive mindset. Score 7 to 1, runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, count 3 and 1 and the pitcher (team behind) throws the ball just outside. Real time,ball or strike? My hat is off to the umps.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lack of UMPS maybe the biggest problem. We are going to see games (friendlies) umped by ACs or volunteers. I should go by some gear. Ump fees are going to go up! I have ump from behind the pitcher a few times when the ump was a no show. It is not as easy as it looks.

The problem is going to be lack of teams. If the parents aren't satisfied, they won't their kids play. If the parents don't feel it is safe for their kids, the kids aren't going to play.

The usual tournament with four porta-potties for 16 teams isn't going to work.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The usual tournament with four porta-potties for 16 teams isn't going to work.
Porta-potties are the one thing everyone wanted to stay at least six feet away from and not touch anything inside unless they absolutely had to even before this whole virus thing came along. :giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi