What to expect from out of town torunaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
You've got to set a phone curfew as well. Girls on DD's old team would be texting until all hours of the morning. We would have her silence her phone at bedtime and give it to us for the night. Most other girls on the team just kept texting all night and were like zombies in the morning.
knowing my DD this is a great idea. she already is a text monster.

Feb 7, 2016
Many times, I have seen parents get wrapped up in having a good time together, and forget about getting their DD into bed at a reasonable hour.
Yup, seen this a bunch! The alcohol seems to always bring out people's true colors...

Oct 2, 2017
Hi All, we are gearing up for our first season of travel ball with a couple out of town tournaments.

what can we expect from these events:
1) is it common for there to be team activities the night before or the night of the Saturday game or do parents and kids generally go on their own when not at the field? - Being that the Saturday games will end early to mid afternoon it gives a lot of time on our hands the rest of the day.
2) What common mistakes are there we should avoid doing when going to our of state tournaments with our DD?

just curious if anyone has any advice.
1) We generally do our own thing. But not against doing something as a team activity.

2) just be in bed at a reasonable time.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Some teams are very cohesive; some are not. A team dinner is fun but can sometimes be a hassle.

PRO TIP: If you go to a restaurant with the whole team, do your server(s) a favor and tie your food to your DD's jersey number. If she's #7, you tell the server you're with #7 and then s/he can easily do a check for just your family.

Another interesting thing: Some coaches are really weird about what the girls do during offtime. We've had several coaches who forbid the kids from swimming in the hotel pool ("They'll get too tired!") and others who forbid afternoon naps ("They'll be too groggy"), so check with your coach before you plan anything. Coaches are generally ok with the kids going to the outlet mall, bowling, or other indoor/air-conditioned activities if there's a long break between games.

Always know where the nearest Wal-Mart/Academy Store is. Because Murphy's Law says your DD will forget something or need something replaced when you're out of town.

May 20, 2015
we always told our families what the plan/expectations were ahead of time

we blocked out rooms (i just did it for DD 1 & 2's team for the summer tournies) - most stayed at the same hotel

we usually did team dinner saturday night......most of the time we had 100% participation, or close to it.....always a big chain type place, always tie the bill to jersey number! great call....

forbidding swimming is just overkill......so is curfew imho......we always told the girls to take it easy, be ready to play.....in terms of curfew and swimming, etc......we always had a team covenant from 12u on (a la proactive coaching), so those situations sort of took care of themselves ahead of time.....we never had an issue we had to correct, for the most part

we were always clear about arrival time......i used our facebook page to communicate, i'd always post game times and expected warm up times

sunday car packing is key........we always checked out of our hotel, but played all day.....so you have to be strategic, leaving things your need (chairs, tents, food, gear) accessible while getting all of your stuff packed......to me packing the car on sunday was always the worst part, especially if you have an early game

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I never set any curfews or had any rules regarding swimming at hotels when I coach. I am their coach during the games. I am not their parent between games.

As a coach, I refuse to set up any type of team dinners or get togethers. I have to many other responsibilities when we are out of town. All I ask is that if people are planning a team get together that everyone is invited. There is usually a couple moms that handle most of the teams get togethers when we are on the road. I do let the parents know that I don't plan those types of activities.

Also, I never require all the families to stay at the same hotel unless it is a Stay To Play Tournament. Too many families have free comps for hotel rooms, or have family they can stay with while out of town. Travel softball is expensive enough as it is. If you can a few hundred dollars go ahead.

Jun 8, 2016
I never set any curfews or had any rules regarding swimming at hotels when I coach. I am their coach during the games. I am not their parent between games.

As a coach, I refuse to set up any type of team dinners or get togethers. I have to many other responsibilities when we are out of town. All I ask is that if people are planning a team get together that everyone is invited. There is usually a couple moms that handle most of the teams get togethers when we are on the road. I do let the parents know that I don't plan those types of activities.

Also, I never require all the families to stay at the same hotel unless it is a Stay To Play Tournament. Too many families have free comps for hotel rooms, or have family they can stay with while out of town. Travel softball is expensive enough as it is. If you can a few hundred dollars go ahead.
When we can, with little kids, we like to be able to have a kitchen so not being required to stay in the same hotel as everybody else is nice. We get DD to wherever she needs to be so she can hang out with her teammates. One time a coach balked at that and I told him if wanted he could watch the little ones and feed them every hour and we could stay at the same place..he didn’t take me up on the offer..

Apr 1, 2017
When we can, with little kids, we like to be able to have a kitchen so not being required to stay in the same hotel as everybody else is nice. We get DD to wherever she needs to be so she can hang out with her teammates. One time a coach balked at that and I told him if wanted he could watch the little ones and feed them every hour and we could stay at the same place..he didn’t take me up on the offer..
We had a week long trip to florida last summer. AirBnB condo was great. Having a kitchen and laundry saves a lot of time and energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad