New Guidelines For The Team ~ What will your team do? What to expect.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Porta potties??? Where are you philistines playing?
Yeah I've never used one at a tournament. Since I usually sit outside the park to watch, I typically just pay the gate fee so I can use the pristine park restrooms.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The problem is going to be lack of teams. If the parents aren't satisfied, they won't their kids play. If the parents don't feel it is safe for their kids, the kids aren't going to play.

The usual tournament with four porta-potties for 16 teams isn't going to work.
Good point Sluggers!
The porta potties thing...
Toxic of its own,..
i mean topic of its own...

Yes, To the point 'lack of teams'...
Less teams will = tournaments reconfiguring things.
With last minute cancellations also.

Have heard of so cal teams already cancelled going to colorado. No matter if its held or not.
Parents weighing risk/money over playing with traveling.

Get comfortable with what we are doing now to build on!
\/
\/
If I was in charge, this would be my recovery plan.

1. two weekends of practices with the team divided into two.
  2. two weekends of full team practices.
  3. two weekends of sat team practice, sunday double header against one other team.
    1. each team checks temperature of each player prior to games and a simple handwashing station in the dugout
    2. home team uses home team balls, away team uses away team balls. Balls changed out / wiped down after every out (at umpire time).
  4. two weekends of regular friendlies, comprised of 6 teams or less
  5. small tournaments, no changing of complexes, no snack bars. all normal social distancing practices followed. (NO CHANGE TO HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED)
Seems like if we all do a phased restart of the process, there'd be ample time to step back if # of cases spikes, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Have heard of so cal teams already cancelled going to colorado. No matter if its held or not.
Parents weighing risk/money over playing with traveling.
With the TFL (Texas Fastpitch League) just announced it looks like the Texas teams will also be staying close to home and not travelling to Colorado, PGF, TCS Nationals etc..

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
My real fear is not for the kids...all the data shows they will be fine. The biggest issue is with no school happening very few kids got infected which unfortunately mean kids will be the number one spreaders of the virus with almost all of them never even knowing they ever had it. If I was in this situation I would let my kid know you can still goof off and play with your friends but you should not make any physical contacts with adults no high fives, fist bump and if possible stay 6 feet away from adults if possible and especially older people their aunts, uncles and most importantly grandparents. You can let them know why and that while the odds of them getting sick or even dying from this are statistaclly zero the odds for adults get worse as they get older. Honestly I would tell adults the same thing once things open up you should be especially alert for kids and keep your distance for the same reason.

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois just announced it's "re-opening" plan. There are 5 phases (we are currently Phase 2). To me, the highlight/lowlight/scary aspect of it is there are to be no groups over 50 until Phase 5 is reached, and Phase 5 can only be reached once there is either a vaccine or a "highly effective" treatment. I am more depressed today than at any point in this process....

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
With the TFL (Texas Fastpitch League) just announced it looks like the Texas teams will also be staying close to home and not travelling to Colorado, PGF, TCS Nationals etc..

This is the one consequence of the covid thing I like. Never liked the idea of "needing" to travel. You have to go to 4 or 5 out of state tournaments a year otherwise your DD will NEVER get recruited. Anybody else ever get the feeling that the coaches like to travel and eat and drink on the team's dime? Hate stay and play, too. I like the idea/attitude, if your DD is good enough they will find her. Technology (skill videos) and camp invites make more sense to me. Of course, I live in So Cal so a little easier for me to take this position. Sometimes it just feels like TB is one big racket and if covid can make the racket a little smaller, that is good news. Play more local and make the scouts do the traveling. This might even grow the game by making it more affordable and opening it up to more families.

Aug 25, 2019
Illinois just announced it's "re-opening" plan. There are 5 phases (we are currently Phase 2). To me, the highlight/lowlight/scary aspect of it is there are to be no groups over 50 until Phase 5 is reached, and Phase 5 can only be reached once there is either a vaccine or a "highly effective" treatment. I am more depressed today than at any point in this process....
Basically the same in NY. We have 4 phases, Softball in 4th. Phase one starts in some places May 15th, but not downstate NY ,where we are. I don't see any summer softball here. Hopefully we can start in September, but I don't think that's gonna happen either.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Maybe this is a good time to realize travel ball has gone too far...as in the girls travel too far for certain tournaments. Playing more locally and within your state, fewer games per day limit to 3, eliminating pool play or run a continuous record for the entire season without bracket games every tournament. The money spent at these tournaments and travel if saved would mostly likely pay for college. Chasing a scholarship seems pointless if you spend more than the scholarship is worth.

Apr 1, 2017
I know many people here are involved in the “travel the country” TB. However, the majority of teams already do play local. For Illinois, even that looks like it’s done for this year, at least with tournaments (large or small). I’m still holding out hope to be able to play double headers by some time in June. Might be wishful thinking, but trying to keep myself and my daughters positive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi