new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Is there anything wrong with her Mizzuno? If not I probably wouldn't replace it and would look to get her something really nice when she moves up to U12 and the 12" ball. Buying a glove to "grow into" is a mistake in my opinion, just my $0.02.

Jul 26, 2010
She is a pitcher on a travel team. Has played travel and some recball for 3 years so she plays roughly50 to 60 games a year. She has a descent mizzuno glove now around 70 bucks, but its 2 years old and with Christmas coming up I figured I'd start looking. I'd like to get a good one that will last even when she moves to a12 inch ball. Hers is a11.5 now should I go to a12.5,I have a13 that she uses some times and does fine but a little big.

Few things to keep in mind:

If she's using the Mizzuno, is she using the index finger hole? If so, do not buy a glove without the hole. The kid will try to stick their finger out through the vent and the glove will not fit on her hand all the way, which makes it much more difficult to use properly. I honestly hate the finger holes or kids sticking their index out but good luck changing it.

No need to get a huge glove unless she's an outfielder. Pitchers gloves need to be light. The 11.5 is fine, don't go higher then 12. Infielders want smaller gloves, the smaller the better with a shallow a pocket as you can get and stiff edges that bend outwards, not inwards. . Outfielders tend to want larger glove with a deeper pocket.

I made the mistake of buying a 12 year old a nice glove (A2K) only to find it in the bottom of the bag with a water bottle that came open, ruining the glove (the lining rotted within 3 months despite drying attempts). I usually go with the Miz MVP now until they're in HS, and then let them find another expensive glove that they like. I like the Wilson YAK for pitchers, it's way lighter then cow hide, and not too expensive (and comes with the Osterman web design). Steer clear of the A2000 and A2K for pitchers, too heavy.

-W

Aug 14, 2011
I agree that to buy an expensive glove at that age- her hand will grow and it won't fit right anymore. Also, spend too much now and your DD decides she doesn't like softball, or the glove gets ridiculously smelly (10 yr olds don't necessarily take the best care of equipment) . . .
Go to a good softball/baseball store and tell them you want a good glove but not spend over ___ ($75-100 right now should do her fine right now). An expert can help you find a good fit. When she's about 16, invest in a better glove.

Aug 8, 2010
Never understood that thinking on gloves. For say twice the money (80 vs 160) you get a glove that will easily last twice as long, minimum. There is your money right there. We spend insane money on bats, uniforms, travel expenses and want to skimp on the single piece of equipment that the player will use the most? Will never understand that.

Jun 24, 2013
I would think you would want a slightly smaller glove for the 11” ball, once they start using the 12” ball I do not mind spending the money. My glove is 30 years old and still kicking. :)

You obviously know more about it then I do.

Feb 7, 2013
Never understood that thinking on gloves. For say twice the money (80 vs 160) you get a glove that will easily last twice as long, minimum. There is your money right there. We spend insane money on bats, uniforms, travel expenses and want to skimp on the single piece of equipment that the player will use the most? Will never understand that.

The difference is performance. Your argument is that a good glove lasts longer so therefore you should pay twice as much. Players buy well made, composite bats to improve their performance not because they will last longer than a cheap aluminum bat. I also think the resell value of a high-end bat is pretty good, whereas a good glove may not retain its value as much. I'm not discounting the value of a well-made glove but might be comparing apples to oranges here.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you buy an expensive, quality glove, you aren't going to have to worry about replacing it, or getting your DD to give up her old glove. If she out grows it, or quits ball, they can easily be resold. Heck, the bats are over $300, now, and a glove gets lots more use.

Aug 8, 2010
I would think you would want a slightly smaller glove for the 11” ball, once they start using the 12” ball I do not mind spending the money. My glove is 30 years old and still kicking. :)

You obviously know more about it then I do.

As long as it is a softball specific model, the pocket is formed correctly and the pocket integrity is maintained (keeping a ball in it at all times, etc) then it isn't and issue. It is the pocket more than the length or height of the glove.

Aug 8, 2010
The difference is performance. Your argument is that a good glove lasts longer so therefore you should pay twice as much. Players buy well made, composite bats to improve their performance not because they will last longer than a cheap aluminum bat. I also think the resell value of a high-end bat is pretty good, whereas a good glove may not retain its value as much. I'm not discounting the value of a well-made glove but might be comparing apples to oranges here.

There is a difference in performance, esp as time starts to wear on a cheaper glove. A better built glove will perform at it's intended level for much longer. I have seen cheaper gloves cause errors before. Hot shots, digs at first, etc can bend a lesser glove over and cause the ball to come out. A glove that can maintain a rigid perimeter (thumb and pinky) will funnel balls into the pocket better than a softer glove. It isn't only about lifespan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd