Needs more eyes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Head movement, glove swim, even FSR dont matter at all unless the arm is working the right way. Her arm does not work the right way. You should take her off the rubber and teach her to throw like the sticky IR in the classroom. You are putting the cart before the horse.

Excessive head movement is a result. The cause is underlying. I’m watching the video through a phone so the arm movement (whether IR or not) is tough to see. Hence my comments about what I can see.

Between the swim and the weak FSR the body pulls away from the throwing arm causing a lockout. It doesn’t have a chance to be loose.

I wonder if she’s in a stationary position that the arm action is better. Just food for thought.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Excessive head movement is a result. The cause is underlying. I’m watching the video through a phone so the arm movement (whether IR or not) is tough to see. Hence my comments about what I can see.

Between the swim and the weak FSR the body pulls away from the throwing arm causing a lockout. It doesn’t have a chance to be loose.

I wonder if she’s in a stationary position that the arm action is better. Just food for thought.

I’ve known for awhile that it’s as if the arm gets left behind, locks out.

Jul 31, 2015
Some of these guys can tell instantly what is wrong watching things at full speed but I rarely can. Filming my DD’s in slow motion when they are pitching and hitting has helped me tremendously. Really allows you to see details that you might miss at full speed. Just a thought for future videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I can’t really tell much from that video. Better lighting, slo mo, and a view from slightly further away would be ideal.

From what I can see it looks like she initially pops up instead of going forward, then gets great leg drive, followed by a push of the ball due to a locked arm, which she tries to compensate for by opening up and using her shoulders. No FSR.

She needs to relax and learn to whip the ball. What she’s doing now is not going to scale.

Great leg drive though.

Pls send more video. Thank you.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She is a classic example of a pitcher who 'rushes' the plate and uses a fast arm circle to generate velocity. This can work at the lower levels if you have enough control but her velocity will top out at around 50. The first thing I would address is her mindset/intention, until you change her idea of how to generate velocity she will slip back into her old mechanics when she goes full motion, regardless of the drills you do. Having a mental model helps, show her this Cat video:

Or Ueno

Or Blaire Luna

I usually start with a half speed sling shot drill, emphasis on whippy arm feel. "Elbow to hip, then the whip". When I think they get the feel for the IR arm action I will move up to full circle. In order to keep from reverting to their straight/locked arm circle action I have them make a small ball/arm circle. Keeping the circle smaller will force them to keep the arm/elbow bent/flexed. I do all this at less than full speed, when they show some consistency I let them speed it up.

The temptation is always to address the physical flaws, and I'm not saying they shouldn't be mentioned, but until you change her intention and her mental model of how to generate velocity she will revert back to her old mechanics when it comes time to 'pitch'.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a quick note, when you want your video reviewed, we need to clearly see the ball, her arms and her body. I can't see the position of her hand relative to the ball at 9. Ball position at 9 is critical.

First image shows your DD's elbow vs. Amanda Scarborough. Your DD's arm is straight as an arrow. Notice Amanda's bend. Also, the ball is on top of the hand. The ball should be behind the hand at 12 and on top of the hand at 9.

The elbow should lead the hand around the circle. Amanda's elbow is ahead of her hand. Your DD's elbow is at the same position as her hand.

Second image shows your DD's position at release vs. Amanda.
(1) Your DD is too far closed. She needs to stay open more.
(2) Your DD's torso is over her left leg.

Third image shows your DD's arm after release. Your DD is doing "Hello Elbow" release. You can tell by (a) the upward bend in your DD's arm and (b) her palm is open to her face. Note that Amanda's arm is generally pointing straight and her palm is down.

What you have to do is do the drills from the "IR in the classroom" thread. Simply start at the beginning and work through them all.

Attachments

• elbow-bend.JPG
    elbow-bend.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 37
  • amanda-release.JPG
    amanda-release.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ir-release.JPG
    ir-release.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 36

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She is a classic example of a pitcher who 'rushes' the plate and uses a fast arm circle to generate velocity. This can work at the lower levels if you have enough control but her velocity will top out at around 50. The first thing I would address is her mindset/intention, until you change her idea of how to generate velocity she will slip back into her old mechanics when she goes full motion, regardless of the drills you do.

The kid and the OP need to learn how to generate speed.

Speed comes from "the whip" or "a whippy arm" or "a loose arm". It does not come from "spinning the arm as fast as possible." IMHO, the easiest way to teach a kid to have a "whippy arm" is to teach them how to skip rocks.

In many ways, the underhand pitching motion is like the overhand motion. One simple thing to drive the home point is to force the kid to throw overhand without bending her arm.

Jul 31, 2015
Second image shows your DD's position at release vs. Amanda.
(1) Your DD is too far closed. She needs to stay open more.
(2) Your DD's torso is over her left leg.

Just to clarify - what @sluggers called closed I called open.
We both mean the same thing: your DD shoulder's are almost square to the plate when they should be angled, like Amanda.

And great point about torso over her left leg...perfect description of what happens when a pitcher is leaning into the pitch vs taking a reverse posture and creating front side resistance.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She is a classic example of a pitcher who 'rushes' the plate and uses a fast arm circle to generate velocity. This can work at the lower levels if you have enough control but her velocity will top out at around 50. The first thing I would address is her mindset/intention, until you change her idea of how to generate velocity she will slip back into her old mechanics when she goes full motion, regardless of the drills you do. Having a mental model helps, show her this Cat video:

Or Ueno

Or Blaire Luna

I usually start with a half speed sling shot drill, emphasis on whippy arm feel. "Elbow to hip, then the whip". When I think they get the feel for the IR arm action I will move up to full circle. In order to keep from reverting to their straight/locked arm circle action I have them make a small ball/arm circle. Keeping the circle smaller will force them to keep the arm/elbow bent/flexed. I do all this at less than full speed, when they show some consistency I let them speed it up.

The temptation is always to address the physical flaws, and I'm not saying they shouldn't be mentioned, but until you change her intention and her mental model of how to generate velocity she will revert back to her old mechanics when it comes time to 'pitch'.

I have shown the correct way with models. It hasn’t helped yet, lol.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The kid and the OP need to learn how to generate speed.

Speed comes from "the whip" or "a whippy arm" or "a loose arm". It does not come from "spinning the arm as fast as possible." IMHO, the easiest way to teach a kid to have a "whippy arm" is to teach them how to skip rocks.

In many ways, the underhand pitching motion is like the overhand motion. One simple thing to drive the home point is to force the kid to throw overhand without bending her arm.

Yes,Yes, I always use the reference between overhand and what we want in underhand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1