Needs more eyes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Oh yeah, someone mentioned creating a shorter arm circle in back. I agree and plan on explaining and showing her.

I have a clip to show them arm/hand path. It comes from Rick Pauly’s material.

24A590C5-F9A2-4435-A12A-80C1DF1BF54C.jpeg

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have worked with pitchers like this and honestly some of them never make the change. In drills and practice they can kind of get it, but in games they revert right back. I equate mechanics like this to bat drag in hitting. Off the tee and with side toss the swing looks OK but in games or with live pitching they revert back. Before you break everything down try the small circumference ball circle, and use the ball as the cue not the arm. Start without the ball and in slo-mo so she gets the basic idea, then have try and throw some balls into a net for fence. You want her attention on the ball not a target.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just to clarify - what @sluggers called closed I called open.
We both mean the same thing: your DD shoulder's are almost square to the plate when they should be angled, like Amanda.

And great point about torso over her left leg...perfect description of what happens when a pitcher is leaning into the pitch vs taking a reverse posture and creating front side resistance.

Yes she needs to stop the shoulders from turning without the pelvis/hips. The shoulders are ahead of the hips.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I am no expert. And I only have 1 student(DD). But if my student's arm looked like that off of the rubber even 1 time I would BAN her from full motion pitching until her arm was whipping standing still.

My next question for her is if she still wants to play in HS. If so she needs to commit to fixing her motion now, because she can’t pitch in HS like that.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Excessive head movement is a result. The cause is underlying. I’m watching the video through a phone so the arm movement (whether IR or not) is tough to see. Hence my comments about what I can see.

Between the swim and the weak FSR the body pulls away from the throwing arm causing a lockout. It doesn’t have a chance to be loose.

I wonder if she’s in a stationary position that the arm action is better. Just food for thought.

This is definitely a factor in what is happening. The front shoulder peels out way to early.

Apr 17, 2019
I don't normally talk about glove swim. But that's a lot of glove swim. She looks hypermobile in the shoulder. The bigger problem is that she's not using that glove side at all to help her - she's just throwing it out of the way. Maybe work a bit on both arms adducting down together, in reciprocal motion.
(ETA: Thinking on it more, her arms are reciprocating. But not in a good way. Try getting the glove palm up also.)
I'm stealing Elbow to hip, then the whip, btw. Love it :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I have worked with pitchers like this and honestly some of them never make the change. In drills and practice they can kind of get it, but in games they revert right back. I equate mechanics like this to bat drag in hitting. Off the tee and with side toss the swing looks OK but in games or with live pitching they revert back. Before you break everything down try the small circumference ball circle, and use the ball as the cue not the arm. Start without the ball and in slo-mo so she gets the basic idea, then have try and throw some balls into a net for fence. You want her attention on the ball not a target.

So focus on the hand? And not the arm? Just like hitting?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So focus on the hand? And not the arm? Just like hitting?
All the physical flaws that people have pointed out in her motion do exist, weak FSR, glove swim, locked arm/elbow (no IR), not opening enough. Trying to address each of them leads to a game of 'whack a mole'. When you fix one, then move on to another, the first one comes back. And if you're not careful the pitcher can get overloaded with things to remember to do. I try to look at these things as symptoms not causes. The real skill in coaching is not so much in diagnosing flaws, it's in coming up with the cues/drills that lead to real change. The motion that she uses is her motor skill solution to the task of throwing/pitching a softball underhand. If you took 10 dads and asked them to pitch BP all 10 would use the same action (from 9 o'clock to 3) that she uses, bowling, pushing, shoveling, HE, etc. She just adds a real fast arm circle. The key is to lead her to another way of throwing underhand by changing the task, ie, skipping stones. I have used 3" wooden model train wheels instead of stones. I have used J-bands for resistance from 9-3 o'clock and had them bowl then use IR so that they could feel the difference between the two arm actions. I have tried having them throw mini footballs, dog toys, and the Nerf Vortex underhanded. I built a brace of moldable cast material to hold the elbow at 90 degrees. What typically happens is that they can IR when using these training aids but the transfer to the full motion is weak, especially if they have been pitching HE (bowling) for a while. I have had the most success with the small ball circle drill. They start with a bent arm, almost 90 degrees, put their attention on the ball and it's movement through the circle, keeping it small, tight. If they do it right they will come down the back side with the elbow leading and naturally IR-whip the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd