Needs more eyes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The first thing I would do is teach her to throw underhand properly. It's tough to see with the blurry but it looks like she is not getting any ER of her upper arm. This is far more important to fix than the FSR.

It’s the same thing, the whip and resistance go hand in hand. Yes locks the arm out, very stiff arm action, pushing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thx Shawn.

My personal opinion is that the stride foot should be being snapped down to the ground hard(like a goosestep march) and have the foot pointed more at the catcher(toward a rh batter for a rhp is ptobly good).

If she snaps it down in this manner and continues to try and pull her foot back toward her after it hits the ground, her glutes and hammies are firing hard(which also braces her torso to resist bending.)

Right now it looks like she is more catching herself when she lands.

I think Abbot is a great model for this. Notice heel landing first vs your student landing on toe. Landing on toe to me equals quad pushing the foot away. Heel landing first is a good indication of good glute and ham involvement.

I’m working and will re read this when I get a chance.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Two things standout.

1. Focus on the break. Get better frontside resistance. It’s not just the leg. Get the core to help. Tough at younger ages. Put a pool noodle over a plunger handle. Place it where her toe touch is. She can’t touch the pool noodle.

2. Her glove arm is swimming extensively. This pulls the shoulders and the throwing arm can’t stay loose in the back of the circle. The head gets pushed forward.

An indicator that both pieces are getting fixed is how much head movement happens from initial toe touch to ball release. There will always be some. But it shouldn’t be a lot. Right now it’s a lot in the clip.

My DD dealt with these which is why they stood out.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Two things standout.

1. Focus on the break. Get better frontside resistance. It’s not just the leg. Get the core to help. Tough at younger ages. Put a pool noodle over a plunger handle. Place it where her toe touch is. She can’t touch the pool noodle.

2. Her glove arm is swimming extensively. This pulls the shoulders and the throwing arm can’t stay loose in the back of the circle. The head gets pushed forward.

An indicator that both pieces are getting fixed is how much head movement happens from initial toe touch to ball release. There will always be some. But it shouldn’t be a lot. Right now it’s a lot in the clip.

My DD dealt with these which is why they stood out.

Yes the head movement is extensive.

So you think the front side is flying open and pulling the throwing arm into a poor position, pulling it out of the throwing position. That might help.

Feb 25, 2020
Yes the head movement is extensive.

So you think the front side is flying open and pulling the throwing arm into a poor position, pulling it out of the throwing position. That might help.

Head movement, glove swim, even FSR dont matter at all unless the arm is working the right way. Her arm does not work the right way. You should take her off the rubber and teach her to throw like the sticky IR in the classroom. You are putting the cart before the horse.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Head movement, glove swim, even FSR dont matter at all unless the arm is working the right way. Her arm does not work the right way. You should take her off the rubber and teach her to throw like the sticky IR in the classroom. You are putting the cart before the horse.

I’ve showed her and talk about it every practice. She is getting better at it in drills. Full effort, not so good.

Feb 25, 2020
I am no expert. And I only have 1 student(DD). But if my student's arm looked like that off of the rubber even 1 time I would BAN her from full motion pitching until her arm was whipping standing still.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Shawn - Maybe post some video of her arm during the focused drills you work on. Get from the belly side so everything is seen. Would be interesting to see what’s happening there versus full stride.

DD had great IR and whip playing catch. But when going full stride it went away.

Just sharing from our experience.

Nov 9, 2021
Some of these guys can tell instantly what is wrong watching things at full speed but I rarely can. Filming my DD’s in slow motion when they are pitching and hitting has helped me tremendously. Really allows you to see details that you might miss at full speed. Just a thought for future videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan