Need other coaches opinions please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2011
Coaches please comment and provide suggestions on what I should do....

I have been named the 14U manager in waiting, our current manager will leave the coaching ranks because of work. I have taken a more active role and she has become threatened by it. The manager, as a lame duck, has shifted gears into a "feel good" rec style mentality. This has been a competitive team over the past two years, winning multiple tournaments and making deep run in the state tournament. She has pared down the roster, refusing to take quality girls that have shown interest, to keep everyone happy with playing time (various reasons why girls left). I'm fearful that this will hinder my ability to attract quality players to the organization for next year. Should I push harder and tell her I want the team now? We have regressed as a team to the point that we're marginally competitive, there is no competition.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Thes is MY OPINION based on experience...

Do not take the manager position. Spend the time you would spend on the team coaching only your daughter, she (and you) will fare much better in the long run. Also, if the team she is on isn't the best fit for her, you need to find a team that is.

Fisrt off use caution as your 'in waiting' managers position could be wiped off the table. Since
I have taken a more active role and she has become threatened by it.
is out there allready it can soon become all for not.
Until the time comes when you are actually running the show you have IMO 2 choices. A, abide by the system existing. B, the two of you meet for dinner to discuss the teams future so you can explain the direction you'd like to go in, hopefully getting her to help with that now.
Keep it friendly ......you both share the common intrest.
She has pared down the roster, refusing to take quality girls that have shown interest,
this is what you have to work with!
Should I push harder and tell her I want the team now?
....hopefully after dinner she will step down. If not I would do as instructed and stay with the team being supportive. If your future team (have to include parents here) picks up the sence that the coaches are NOT on the same page.....you may not have a team to manage.

Jul 26, 2010
I suggest you spend your time finding a coach who does not have a daughter on the team. 14u is too old for daddy ball.

-W

Jul 17, 2009
I would simplify things and base your decision on what is best for your daughter. As others have suggested that may mean only coaching your daughter at home and letting her play for someone else.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I suggest you spend your time finding a coach who does not have a daughter on the team. 14u is too old for daddy ball.

-W

Honestly? How many teams at that level in your area are truly coached by 100% outside coaches? I can think of just a couple in the Pacific NW at the 14U age group. It gets moreso at 16U (especially the higher level), and of course very prominent at the 18 Gold level....but there's still a lot of successful organizations that have parents involved in the coaching.

There's parents involved in coaching....and then there's true "daddy-ball"; some here insist they are always one and the same.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
It's OK TheRouge, parent coaches is the debbil 'round here.

Yes, each team/coach needs to be evaluated independently. At least in Illinois what I would consider the top 5 or so 12u teams are all coached by parent coaches. I won't name the teams as it's only an opinion and it's certainly debateable, but they are all parent coached. I suspect all 5 next year as 14's will have the exact same coaches.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck