How good does our team need to be to get exposure and recruited?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2018
If your daughter has college aspirations move to a team that is known to get kids into the schools on her list, or try to get on the best team possible that is placing kids. Going to a better team isnt team hopping, but make sure to do your research and know that on those teams playing time isn't guaranteed, at true showcases they should bat the lineup and switch kids out, but dd might get 2 at bats a game, in those at bats coaches are looking for QABs which bring them back out to take a look at said kid.

Showcases and big tournaments now have so many teams that just cause your team goes doesn't mean squat, so many far off fields. Those coaches are hitting those main fields period. maybe if you caught there eye at a camp, or via video in an email they'll come out to look but that depends on coach and school. Before any camp I would advise to verify they are even looking for that position for that graud year.

What team your kid plays for matters, it matters for field placement, it matters for placement in a camp, and it matters because that org has a proven track record and relationships.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
"My daughter is an all conference player on her high school team. She has already set some single-season batting records for her high school and she still has a couple of years to go until she graduates. Likewise, our travel team tries to play a competitive schedule going to some very high level tournaments. She has very good personal stats at those events as well. She does work hard, has a great attitude and is overall a great kid (yea, I'm a little biased, but her coaches and teammates feel the same way)."

This means absolutely nothing unless you tell the college coaches about it. College coaches are sitting around googling All conference accolades which are pretty much a popularity contest. I have seen every single starter on teams get some type of recognition which waters down the awards.

Anyway, how many college coaches did your DD email this information to...Seriously? How many? Be honest and let us know. Then we will know how to steer you. Another question: How do you steer a parked car?

Feb 20, 2020
Recruiting is the wrong word most of the time, because you need to be the one doing the selling.

Come up with a list of where she might want to go and contact the coaches. Not just the head by any assistants they have. Start the conversation, and then provide video when you can. If those schools are having a camp, try to go to it. But you're going to have to do most of the work in this.

The other thing to keep in mind is the Supreme Court just threw college sports into total chaos. We've got no idea what it will look like in 9 days after NIL goes into effect and God only knows what this latest ruling is going to do. But if your Dd wants to play in college, she needs to understand coaches won't likely come to her. She's going to have to go to them and sell herself.

As for your question, I don't think it matters. You can get as much time with the coaches at a camp as you could get in a summer of showcases, and an ongoing correspondence is better than either. Just bring a good, zoomable camera to the games and get every good swing and Ab recorded. Make sure you've got plenty of shots of her making plays. That'll do more to sell her than playing on the right team.

Nov 18, 2013
In our experience nationals events were easier than showcases to get in front of coaches. Didn’t have to worry about field placement. Win a few games and pretty much guarantee to be on good fields for at least some games.

I think the biggest drawback of your current team is she’s with girls who won’t push her. Even if she’s self driven it’s frustrating having teammates not putting in the same work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802