Lefty Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
My 11yo is playing Competitive ball for the first time after many seasons on Rec. So this is brand new both in the rules of the game moving from 10U Rec to 12U Comp and just in intensity. She has a lot to learn, but she's enthusiastic and improving. We had our first games this weekend and she had a lot of bench time. That's ok. Our team didn't play well and frankly, she could make errors just as well as her teammates did, but again, I told her she's probably going to sit more than she's used to. She has to earn her spot. So at practice yesterday she asked her coaches what she needs to do and work on to earn an infield spot and was told, "Leftys don't really play infield." She was kinda crushed. Had she not asked, he never would have divulged that she's pretty much not getting the infield. He essentially told her "get used to the outfield -- I have no use for you in the infield because you're lefty." She can battle for a first base spot, but going against the four coaches' daughters who also like 1B is going to be tough.

It's 12U on a not-there-at-all-yet team, not the Yankees. Is this kind of mentality really true? Does she really only have one position that she's even remotely appropriate for (and chances are they won't let her play)? She likes 2B -- I know it takes more effort to play as a lefty, but is she really washed up in the infield unless she goes back to Rec (which she doesn't want to do)? Have I encouraged her to play a sport that she's genetically not suited for unless she plays outfield? (FWIW -- I love playing outfield, so no disrespect at all to our 7-8-9 girls, but there's a difference between wanting to play a position and being told you have to play it because your Leftyism disqualifies from playing any of the other 4 desired positions).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was a good righty fielder, your DD needs to be excellent to beat her out to play 2nd, SS or 3rd.

We have played against lefty players at all these positions and you can see they are a little slower.

Does she have any interest in C? Lefty catchers are golden.

Jul 15, 2020
I agree she needs to be better than good and she's willing to work to earn a spot. But in talking to the coach, it seems she's not even going to be considered because she's lefty, which stings and is demoralizing. Kinda like "you can't be a construction worker because you're a girl." Leftys need not apply.

She's not a catcher (and I thought lefty catchers were verboten too because most batters are righty and that makes lefty throwing from behind the plate much more difficult). She's actually a pitcher. She's not in the "main group" of pitchers (who are also coaches' daughters -- these kids pretty much get moved around so they play the whole field) and is not even considered yet to pitch. But this weekend the main pitchers were walking everyone (one inning called for 6 runs and the other team never even hit the ball) and in the last game they put DD in (I was stunned). She does not throw heat at all yet but she threw strikes. Struck one out, fielded one herself for an out, one walk, two balls put into play before time was called. No runs scored. A pretty darn good outing -- even for a lefty.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For a lefty to be useful on the IF (except 1B), they need to be WAY better than any of the righty options, and even then, you won't get many coaches willing to give it a shot. It might not be fair, but this is pretty standard operating procedure. From what you've described, it sounds like she isn't WAY better than the other options right now, and the road to 1B is pretty unlikely. At 12U, OF probably still feels like a "lesser" position. At 14U, OF becomes critical, and good OFs are very valuable. At 14U and above, there are no good teams with mediocre OFs. The unfortunate thing for leftys is that this is probably her best option, unless...

...how does she feel about becoming a catcher? ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hows her height? And Speed?

"Lefties dont really play infield"
Is not correct.

Suggest focus on her attributes being a lefty!
BTW 1st base & Catcher
Are infield positions. ;)
Still wouldnt rule out trying to prove everyone wrong
at 3rd, SS, 2nd !
The angles can be challenging.
Foot work is our friend!
Would not say have to be better than righties, just not weaker.

? Befor joining this team was there conversation with the coach about her role on the team...?

Apr 28, 2014
For a lefty to be useful on the IF (except 1B), they need to be WAY better than any of the righty options, and even then, you won't get many coaches willing to give it a shot. It might not be fair, but this is pretty standard operating procedure. From what you've described, it sounds like she isn't WAY better than the other options right now, and the road to 1B is pretty unlikely. At 12U, OF probably still feels like a "lesser" position. At 14U, OF becomes critical, and good OFs are very valuable. At 14U and above, there are no good teams with mediocre OFs. The unfortunate thing for leftys is that this is probably her best option, unless...

...how does she feel about becoming a catcher? ;)

Or a pitcher ;)

Sep 13, 2020
I'm not a coach but can give you the experience of my two 2007 DDs who are lefties. DD1 started catching 4 years ago and never looked back. She sometimes gets grief about not being a righty but plays the position well and has always been the starting catcher on her teams.

DD2 has primarily played 2B as a lefty but started spending more time in the outfield this past year. She was disappointed at first but, as the girls get older, outfield becomes really important. Now she's about 3/4 outfield, 1/4 infield. Current, new team wants to shift her to 1B since she has a great glove.

I've had frank conversations with a variety of coaches regarding lefties and almost all of them are focused on putting them at OF, 1B, P, and sometimes C.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She's not a catcher (and I thought lefty catchers were verboten too because most batters are righty and that makes lefty throwing from behind the plate much more difficult).

Get that thought out of your head. Lefty catchers have a better move on back-picks to 1B, and a better line for fielding bunts. This has been a topic of discussion on DFP multiple times. The upsides and downsides of righty vs. lefty catchers is pretty much a trade-off. Lefty catchers have played at the highest levels of this game, including winning Olympic gold.

May 20, 2016
Meh anyone that says someone can't play a position due to their handedness at that age is silly imo. Play better than the person in the position you want to play and you get the spot. Doesn't matter if you throw with your feet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478