Need help with my daughters swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Like 99% of youth, she has bat drag. Hers is worse than many

She must have a flat/level rear forearm at toe touch. She starts with it down/vertical, and keeps it down.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Suggestions on how to fix these issues??

A lot of reps doing it the right way - LOL. The swing is a complex muscle memory movement pattern. Changing that pattern can be difficult and take a long time. The last place you will see changes in the pattern are times when the stress level is highest - like hitting in a game. We can't just tell a young player to change something, and expect it to stick. The correct movements need to be practiced until the body doesn't know a different way to move.

What I see is an athletic 9yo who has swing flaws that are very typical for a player her age. I would not be surprised if she has been told by coaches to "load early" and "swing level". Her dropping the barrel behind her is her move to get her barrel on the plane of the pitch, which she is evaluating while the ball is in flight towards her, and then she swings/drags the bat around her body with her arms.

The big difference in the machine swing is that she is rushed, and doesn't have the time to level the barrel. For her, it helps. I'm guessing that whoever is feeding the machine is just dropping balls into it without any simulation of an arm circle, or other timing indication.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Dry stride, no tee/ball, and pull the back elbow back like a bow. Make sure, at landing, hands are sorta near armpit, and rear forearm is flat, and bat head is pointed mostly up

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A lot to like here. As of right now she opens her front hip immediately to create space, that’s when it falls apart.

Get her starting posture in stance better to create some space and to balance her body from the start meaning get her chest a bit more over the plate while pushing her hips back.. Should help use the posterior instead of the anterior side of her body. See where she’s at after. Maybe narrow her stance 2-3 inches so she can control her stride a bit better As well. Film and post.

1629329062639.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Didn’t see W=W post. Here is the swing slowed down.

There are area’s to improve. With saying that she is pretty good for 9.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Like 99% of youth, she has bat drag. Hers is worse than many

She must have a flat/level rear forearm at toe touch. She starts with it down/vertical, and keeps it down.
Yes, bat drag is one thing I noticed. The forearm can be vertical. It’s not a huge precentage who don’t get the forearm level at launch.

May 12, 2016
Thank you everyone!!! I will take all the advice and put it to work this week/weekend.
Don't know if this has been mentioned. It can be exciting talking to all these knowledgeable folks on this site and you might be anxious to implement the changes in your DD's swing. However, one thing at a time and then reassess. Too many things at once may lead to frustration and confusion. Speaking from experience with my own DD.

Have fun, they grow up fast

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06