Need drills to fix over rotating

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
Daughter over rotates when she swings. Has good power but most hits end up in left field and struggles with any power of the outside pitch. Heard when the swing is finished, the hitter should be able to look down the back elbow and be pointing at the point of contact with the ball. Currently her follow through has her back elbowing ending more pointed at the pitcher. Anyone have drills to help reduce that rotation.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am going to guess it is something else.

bonds_go_sit.gif

Feb 15, 2013
Sue Enquist can help! Watch these 2 drills:

Hitting Drills by Sue Enquist - YouTube

The first is her "No hips drill" where the batter learns the feel of weight transfer from negative to positive and removes spinning on the back foot and yanking off the ball. Then at 3:13 Sue introduces a 1-arm drill where the hitter swings a light weight (e.g. T-ball) bat with the top hand only while extending the bottom hand straight out from the front shoulder and over the top of a tee. Maintaining the front arm out over the ball through contact provides a way for the hitter to observe if she is staying inside the ball or pulling off. Godd stuff, good luck!

Coach Steve

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
For me, what works with the first Enquist drill posted is that it addresses (without saying or explaining it) what's usually the culprit in over-rotation - back hip push. When the back hip fires the swing (meaning the back hip pushes into the front side), you're more likely to get over-rotation. When the back & and core muscles (front-side obliques) do the work, you're less likely to over-rotate.

I see the first UCLA hitter in that drill using her back muscles to pull the back side forward. That is what you want to focus on with the drill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors