NCAA Recruiting Survey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
As the website seems to be hit or miss, to sum up the facemask question, 71% of the coaches said that they would recruit a player who wears a facemask, 29% said they would not. But when you look at the comments, you'll find that most of the coaches who would recruit a player who wears a facemask will only do so under certain, very limited circumstances. There is a noticeable anti-mask sentiment among the coaches who responded.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As the website seems to be hit or miss, to sum up the facemask question, 71% of the coaches said that they would recruit a player who wears a facemask, 29% said they would not. But when you look at the comments, you'll find that most of the coaches who would recruit a player who wears a facemask will only do so under certain, very limited circumstances. There is a noticeable anti-mask sentiment among the coaches who responded.

Reading the responses you posted above it sounds like coaches are OK with masks for pitchers and on the corners, and to be honest with you, I would be leery of an OF wearing a mask myself....

Mar 26, 2013
The comments definitely tell a different story than the yes/no responses.

Second page of responses to mask question...

player needs to be comfortable

They are becoming more common and some youth coaches are requiring them.

I will recruit a player wearing a mask if she has an injury that she is protecting. I will be more likely to shy away from a player wearing a mask and much less likely to recruit her.

Unless the player had a significant injury, I believe different area mandate that females wear a mask an males don't. We need to teach players how to play the game and not coach by gender

projects fear of the ball. there are always exceptions (expensive dental work, concussions..)

Pitcher maybe but not defensive position players. The trot of the problem is to teach them good fielding mechanics.

Can't be upset with them wanting to protect themselves.

If she can play, she can play.

I will if she is a pitcher. I would be less likely if they are a field player unless there was a previous injury.

I'm cautious on fielding masks but it wouldn't eliminate a kid. Kids with better feet tend to not wear them.

Feb 7, 2013
Disappointing that there still exists a strong bias and stigma for players wearing fielding masks but I believe the tide is slowly changing as younger, more progressive coaches join the college ranks. I do find it ironic that if a player had previously been injured, than it's ok to wear a mask but if a player hasn't been injured yet, a mask is not ok?

Dec 27, 2014
The comments definitely tell a different story than the yes/no responses.

Second page of responses to mask question...

player needs to be comfortable

They are becoming more common and some youth coaches are requiring them.

I will recruit a player wearing a mask if she has an injury that she is protecting. I will be more likely to shy away from a player wearing a mask and much less likely to recruit her.

Unless the player had a significant injury, I believe different area mandate that females wear a mask an males don't. We need to teach players how to play the game and not coach by gender

projects fear of the ball. there are always exceptions (expensive dental work, concussions..)

Pitcher maybe but not defensive position players. The trot of the problem is to teach them good fielding mechanics.

Can't be upset with them wanting to protect themselves.

If she can play, she can play.

I will if she is a pitcher. I would be less likely if they are a field player unless there was a previous injury.

I'm cautious on fielding masks but it wouldn't eliminate a kid. Kids with better feet tend to not wear them.
Ah, whew. My pitching daughter has braces now but will be off before she is in high school. But, at least it will be "ok" if she still wants to wear a mask then since they are so freaking expensive. :p

Nov 18, 2013
Disappointing that there still exists a strong bias and stigma for players wearing fielding masks but I believe the tide is slowly changing as younger, more progressive coaches join the college ranks. I do find it ironic that if a player had previously been injured, than it's ok to wear a mask but if a player hasn't been injured yet, a mask is not ok?

It's all perspective. D1 coaches are used to elite athletes with years of experience at the highest level. The expectation is that girls of this caliber have the fielding skills to protect themselves. Most proponents of mandating masks are thinking of 10U/12U players who are more vulnerable.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06