My 9 Year old working on IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
She throws a realy nice flip change. I say nice because in practice she hits it about 70% of the time and in game close to that. From my experience that is pretty rare for this age as most wind up in the backstop fence way high at this age but we've found a pretty neat way of her visualizing to keep it down.

lhowser, thanks for the additional detail. Question about the change-up. My DD has been pitching about 8 months and this week we introduced the c/u for the first time (drills only). Her PC wants her to first learn the horseshoe grip / technique (before the flip change) with the reasoning that it is easier to learn for the beginner. Once she is comfortable with this pitch, we move on to the flip change technique which apparently is a more effective pitch? She also recommended to keep the practice sessions separate when introducing a new pitch, one for fastball only, another for c/u only so as not to confuse her. Thoughts?

Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
She needs to correct a few things. I think she should not reach over her head. She gives away the pitch because her hand comes out of the glove. She should also spend less energy presenting. Seems like she goes to it very violently. It will trow off hitters if she is slow to present, smooth to deliver and quick to release. She should drag on her toe, not the side of her foot. She seems to pitch sideways. She should be moving back to load, then straight forward to the target to deliver. No wasted momentum. Have her measure 7 shoe lengths. That should be the target of her planting foot. Drop balls is a bit shorter, but all other pitches should have a very long stride.

Here is a pretty good example of a good young pitcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg7IqmqdjRM

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Her PC wants her to first learn the horseshoe grip / technique (before the flip change) with the reasoning that it is easier to learn for the beginner.
Maybe easier but not always. It could be more difficult for her to distinguish between her change and fastball release too. Horseshoe can be cool. The bottom can really fall out but it is not an easy pitch either. I have one girl on the team using it. I don't think the horseshoe is as fun for the little ones as a good flip. They probably are equally as effective if thrown how and where you want them with a good disguiesed delivery. I wouldn't be for keeping the sessions seperate as a better idea. If that works for your coach and you like it that is fine but I think many people have mixed sessions and have gotten great results as well. I like personally to always fall back to the standard fastball after every handfull of changes just to help her remember her push off mechanics and speed and rhythm.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
I would like to chime in here and my intent is not to offend anyone, but I'm sure I will none the less. The first clip is an outstanding exsample of someone spending a lot of time working on machanics and the fundaments of pitching. Whoever is working with this young lady should take great pride. Lord knows how hard it is to get to this point with a child. Sure there are things that can be changed, but I don't dought for one minuet that they will be. Pick your battles correctly and you will win the war.
The second clip however is totally different and I feel that it should not be used as an exsample. I don't feel that there is even one totally leagal pitch throw in the clip. I don't see any drag but I do have to admit it is not the best angle to see the drag. The young lady does not seem to stay on the power line has poor machinics. Sure, right now she looks like she is throwing pretty hard, but is that whats important when they are at this age. I don't see this clip as a good exsample of what we should be looking for in young pitchers. There are hundreds of clips on youtube, there has to be one that would be a better exsample of what too look for.

Jan 27, 2010
I would like to chime in here and my intent is not to offend anyone, but I'm sure I will none the less. The first clip is an outstanding exsample of someone spending a lot of time working on machanics and the fundaments of pitching. Whoever is working with this young lady should take great pride. Lord knows how hard it is to get to this point with a child. Sure there are things that can be changed, but I don't dought for one minuet that they will be. Pick your battles correctly and you will win the war.
The second clip however is totally different and I feel that it should not be used as an exsample. I don't feel that there is even one totally leagal pitch throw in the clip. I don't see any drag but I do have to admit it is not the best angle to see the drag. The young lady does not seem to stay on the power line has poor machinics. Sure, right now she looks like she is throwing pretty hard, but is that whats important when they are at this age. I don't see this clip as a good exsample of what we should be looking for in young pitchers. There are hundreds of clips on youtube, there has to be one that would be a better exsample of what too look for.

I agree with your analysis of the second clip. There is a lot of work to be done with her mechanics. This appears to be maybe a 10U team and in this age group speed will suffice most of the time. Unless some of the mechanical problems are corrected, her time in the circle may be limited as she moves up in age.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Lhowser

Maybe easier but not always. It could be more difficult for her to distinguish between her change and fastball release too. Horseshoe can be cool. The bottom can really fall out but it is not an easy pitch either. I have one girl on the team using it. I don't think the horseshoe is as fun for the little ones as a good flip. They probably are equally as effective if thrown how and where you want them with a good disguiesed delivery. I wouldn't be for keeping the sessions seperate as a better idea. If that works for your coach and you like it that is fine but I think many people have mixed sessions and have gotten great results as well. I like personally to always fall back to the standard fastball after every handfull of changes just to help her remember her push off mechanics and speed and rhythm.

When working on the change I often have my students alternate between fastball and change. With the focus being on not slowing the arm down when throwing the change. We all know you have to "Sell" this pitch to the hitter. That means it has to look like the fastball. Best way to develop that IMO for the young ones is to alternate between the fast ball and the change.

Dana.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a fun "change-up" story that shows how a great mindset helps vs. a young player that gets nervous when trying the change.

Yesterday in a 10U game one of our pitchers (not my dd who is in the video in this thread) we put in the game in a real jam. Bases loaded, 1 out. She walked one run in and was facing the opponents best hitter with a 3-2 count.

This particular pitcher on our team has the funnest attitude - she is happy go lucky, way to confident, our leading cheerer and believes there is nothing she cannot do. She is not close to our hardest thrower. Because of her great attitude this week at practice I showed her a knuckle change or knuckle curve push pitch and told her she is the only pitcher I am showing it to at this age because she has the type of attitude to pull it off.

Back to yesterdays game. She gets two strikes on the batter and I give the catcher a sign she has never seen...a closed fist. The catcher looks at me puzzled and I say "just give it". When the pitcher sees it she squints in confusion and looks at me and I shout "throw THEEEEEE pitch". She throws a perfect pitch that looks like a meatball and falls out of the zone outside. Batter swings at air! Pitcher grins from ear to ear.

Pitcher procceds to retire the side by K -ing the next batter painting the corner. She doesn't throw very hard but boy she has the pitchers mentality.

Just a fun story I wanted to share.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd