My 10yo pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
Yes, across the body is the correct follow through.
Can you explain the 'why' on that one to me? It seems to me that if your follow through is going right to left, you're going to add that kind of spin on the ball. Shouldn't a fastball have a 12-6 rotation?

Again, I can understand this for movement pitches because you don't want a 'straight' rotation. What am I missing?:confused:

Dec 18, 2010
"Think I remember seeing that on a Rita Lynn Gilman video."

Would highly recommend purchasing both Rita Lynn Gilman videos! She has a great perspective being a former pitcher. We're fortunate to live a day trip away from her and have seen her several times. We have been to several pitching coaches who have all had good tips and drills, but her instruction clicked more with my DD. Videos are great for both the beginner and advanced pitcher. Been seeing great results so far...and results are what matter the most (IMO).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The ball is gone. There is no need to force your arm on up in the air. Release and relax, the arm will travel across the body. Of course, your DD already figured that out, but you tried to fix it.

Jul 21, 2009
The ball is gone. There is no need to force your arm on up in the air. Release and relax, the arm will travel across the body. Of course, your DD already figured that out, but you tried to fix it.
Yup, I did. And her accuracy greatly improved. She was taught from the beginning (from her pitching coach) that her follow through should finish with her hand either up or toward her shoulder and her elbow pointing to the catcher.

Now, if the ball is gone, how can the follow through (whether across the body or straight up) affect speed or control? Which someone said earlier the "cross the body" follow through does.

ETA: If the ball is gone, why does it matter at all what the follow through is?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2011
Yup, I did. And her accuracy greatly improved. She was taught from the beginning (from her pitching coach) that her follow through should finish with her hand either up or toward her shoulder and her elbow pointing to the catcher.

Now, if the ball is gone, how can the follow through (whether across the body or straight up) affect speed or control? Which someone said earlier the "cross the body" follow through does.

ETA: If the ball is gone, why does it matter at all what the follow through is?

The follow through across the body is where the arm will want to naturally flow to if the elbow whip is properly done. It does not go straight across the body.... my dd, a right hander, used to touch her left ear in the begining of her change over from the PCM "point the elbow at the catcher" crap.

Jul 21, 2009
The follow through across the body is where the arm will want to naturally flow to if the elbow whip is properly done. It does not go straight across the body.... my dd, a right hander, used to touch her left ear in the begining of her change over from the PCM "point the elbow at the catcher" crap.

Maybe that's where my confusion is then. When I was talking about my DD, her arm WAS straight across her body (like she was holding her stomach).

Feb 17, 2011
Maybe that's where my confusion is then. When I was talking about my DD, her arm WAS straight across her body (like she was holding her stomach).

Yeah, it's not that big a change, but makes a real big difference. The curveball delivery is the one that comes the most across the body, but even then arm should rise to left shoulder

Jul 21, 2009
I can see where it would happen with movement pitches. I was speaking strictly from a fastball pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG