My 10yo pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
Looking good

I have and still have my DD do jumping drills. With or with out glove. Like how far out from the rubber they can jump ect. Seems to be fun for her. My DD used to until recently the keep the ball hid technique. Which allows her to drive off the rubber with two hands. Which I also like. Took her to her first ever private lesson and He told her its better to let her arm back swing a little. ??? His DD Pitched D1 :confused:

Feb 26, 2011
Should have given Bill H a mention too as I tried to take a lot from his video, the backswing being one of them.

Ahh yes the leg slap thing. She was never taught it but she has always done it and I haven't bothered addressing it. I know that her mom would prefer she stop it.

I'm aware of the lack of aggressiveness and will need to start working on it with her as opposed to just telling her to do it. She started out as a stepper though (my fault) so she has improved in this area.

Real good point on the landing foot location. That is something that I hadn't picked up on and now that you mention it she does tend to go wild right more often than left. That could be the answer right there. Her accuracy varies. She can throw several strikes in a row and then throw one over my head and one in the dirt. She's come a long way from when we started though and most of the time I am catching pitches without leaving my bucket. =)

Thanks...yep...need to work on being more aggressive. The resistance from the front side is something that the local coach stresses in the clinics and she needs to get back to that instead of falling forward as you correctly described it. I like the load/drive idea and will try that. Think I remember seeing that on a Rita Lynn Gilman video.

Love this site...keep em comin! Thanks guys.

Tom

Not a good point if you are following what Hillhouse does. He wants you to land on the power line not beside it.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Not a good point if you are following what Hillhouse does. He wants you to land on the power line not beside it.

I would defer to Hillhouse on this. However, I will tell you that I have his DVD and have watched his videos online and I have not heard him say that your stride foot should land directly on the line. What I remember is that he says you should step directly towards the catcher and plant the foot at a 45 degree angle. Since the powerline is directly in the center of the body during the pre-motion, taking a stride directly towards homeplate would put the stride foot just left of the powerline, just like it is at pre-motion. Look at the above video and her stride foot starts out just left of the line, but lands ON the powerline. If you drew a straight line from her stride foot at pre-motion to a her stride foot at plant after stride, and continued with that straight line all the way to home plate, the line would end up to the right of the catcher (from the pitchers view). My concern for Tom's DD is that I have seen several pitchers that step directly on the line or slighty to the right of the line (for RHP) and their pitching arm gets "caught" behind them because their throwing lane is slightly blocked and either they push the ball to the right or in an effort to fix the problem, over compensate and they throw the pitch high and left of the target because the arm is going "around the body". Just my experience. Would welcome comments from Bill or others on this.

May 18, 2009
I would defer to Hillhouse on this. However, I will tell you that I have his DVD and have watched his videos online and I have not heard him say that your stride foot should land directly on the line. What I remember is that he says you should step directly towards the catcher and plant the foot at a 45 degree angle. Since the powerline is directly in the center of the body during the pre-motion, taking a stride directly towards homeplate would put the stride foot just left of the powerline, just like it is at pre-motion. Look at the above video and her stride foot starts out just left of the line, but lands ON the powerline. If you drew a straight line from her stride foot at pre-motion to a her stride foot at plant after stride, and continued with that straight line all the way to home plate, the line would end up to the right of the catcher (from the pitchers view). My concern for Tom's DD is that I have seen several pitchers that step directly on the line or slighty to the right of the line (for RHP) and their pitching arm gets "caught" behind them because their throwing lane is slightly blocked and either they push the ball to the right or in an effort to fix the problem, over compensate and they throw the pitch high and left of the target because the arm is going "around the body". Just my experience. Would welcome comments from Bill or others on this.

I agree. That's how my girls are being taught. Just left of powerline for foot placement. On powerline for inside pitches if all mechanics are the same.

Jul 21, 2009
I watched the slowed down version. In the second pitch, her arm comes across her body instead of straight up. My DD had lots of problems with that and it affected her control.

I put a strap in the basement (where she practices) that she could reach for at the top of her circle. She's just about eliminated following through across her body and her accuracy has greatly improved.

I'm not a pitching coach, nor do I play one on tv.

May 18, 2009
I watched the slowed down version. In the second pitch, her arm comes across her body instead of straight up. My DD had lots of problems with that and it affected her control.

I put a strap in the basement (where she practices) that she could reach for at the top of her circle. She's just about eliminated following through across her body and her accuracy has greatly improved.

I'm not a pitching coach, nor do I play one on tv.

Most people on this board want their daughters to pitch with the arm going across the body. In the long run the pitcher will develop more speed, control, and have an easier time throwing movement pitches.

Jul 21, 2009
Most people on this board want their daughters to pitch with the arm going across the body. In the long run the pitcher will develop more speed, control, and have an easier time throwing movement pitches.
Hadn't heard that one yet. I apologize. I don't understand how it can help speed or control. I get the movement.

Feb 26, 2011

I thought the same thing as you untill my DD worked with Bill. He wants her push off foot on the line and her stride foot to land on the line.
Which in his DVD he says you want to show the catcher one leg and one shoulder and that is the only way to accomplish that. If you start with the power line between your feet and then land to the left of it you never will be fully open.

Feb 26, 2011
If you watch the first video the first pitch she throws her push off foot is on the line but look where her stride foot lands. It lands across the line and her heel lands on it. Now in the next 2 the ball of her foot lands on the line. Thats how Bill told me it should be. If she tends to get wild to the right it is due to her heel landing on the line and not the ball of her foot.

Last edited: