My 10yo pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
I can see where it would happen with movement pitches. I was speaking strictly from a fastball pitch.

That is the advantage of not finishing straight up. It allows for proper arm whip, and gives a natural finish that is the same for all pitches, and therefore helps hide what pitch is coming.

Sep 3, 2009
To answer Sam G, my daughter (the one in this video) was told by three different pitching coaches to finish straight up, two with the hello elbow and the third with the palm towards the face (hand says hi). I disagree with that and believe that it reinforces bad pitching mechanics (ie pushing and aiming the ball as opposed to allowing for natural arm whip). I would suggest taking lots of time to go through this thread: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/1348-internal-rotation.html
and getting a copy of Bill Hillhouse's "Building the House" DVD.

Here's something for you to consider. When you throw "overhand" do you follow through across the body or straight down? Same principle really, I think.

May 18, 2009
If you stand in a k position and do an arm circle your arm finishes by your left shoulder. Since the ball is released right when a girl is going to close the arm should still wind up at left shoulder. If DD is releasing when closed the arm will be going straight towards catcher and arm will have to come straight forward/bowling motion with elbow pointing at catcher.

Jul 21, 2009
Thank you for the clarifications. It makes more sense now. As I pointed out earlier, this was NOT what my DD was doing. She was finishing with her arm across ("holding") her stomach. Her throws were wild. When I had her reach taller during her circle, her accuracy greatly improved with no loss of speed. She's not "aiming" the pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC