My 10 year old doing some tee work, need help please!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Work on the back arm. It looks like she leads with her hands. Try and close the gap so that her hands and elbow are aligned with the shoulder as they pass the shoulder. So the hands are neither in front nor trailing. So start by closing the hip/back elbow gap using the rear shoulder. Then use your hands. Take a look at what these guys are doing with their back elbow and see the alignment hands/elbow/shoulder. Just work on that for awhile and continue to use the legs. and Go NorCal
Best MLB Swings-Slow MO - YouTube

Good advice, IMO.

Another way to describe it is; keep the hands back and let the body rotation move the hands forward, not the arms. Don't pull or push the bat with the arms. Let the body move the bat, and the hands throw the barrel.

May 16, 2010
This is going to potentially ignite a big debate but here goes.....soft toss from the side should be outlawed as a crime against humanity. It is a timing killer and does nothing for the visuals. balls do not come in from the side. I grudgingly accept it as a pregame warmup in limited space otherwise tee or front toss only for my girls.

No debate from me. I agree wholeheartedly.

Try some high tee work and make sure she actually sees the ball contact the bat. She should be able to tell you where it hits on the bat every time. So many times high/low issues are just girls taking their eye off the ball. My DD had a spell where she stopped making contact on anything low or high. I forced her to see the ball hit the bat and she got barrel to ball much better.

If she's swinging at high pitches, why do you want to do high tee work?

Most girls even up to 16u can't hit low pitches, nor do they know where the bottom of the zone is. I work my students with the tee never higher than the belt, and mostly at mid-thigh. When they hit there, I move it down to the top of the knee. It teaches them to learn to tilt the spine, and stay down, and get the back shoulder lower than the front at contact.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No debate from me. I agree wholeheartedly.

If she's swinging at high pitches, why do you want to do high tee work?

Most girls even up to 16u can't hit low pitches, nor do they know where the bottom of the zone is. I work my students with the tee never higher than the belt, and mostly at mid-thigh. When they hit there, I move it down to the top of the knee. It teaches them to learn to tilt the spine, and stay down, and get the back shoulder lower than the front at contact.

I meant high but in the zone work to make sure she can defend that part of the zone. I usually work the girls at knees, waist and a high tee about upper belly. The zone tends to be a little lower these days but it still officially does go that high and we do run into umps that call it so I teach it. I took his comment to mean that she has trouble with high strikes in addition to going after high balls. I could be wrong. I was thinking of a player I have that can hit low to mid all day long but can't get anything above her belt line.

May 16, 2010
Hi All,

My daughter is in her 3rd season of playing softball, this kid absolutely loves it. I don't really know what I'm doing so what do we need to work on to get better? She has trouble in game situations hitting with any power, she usually grounds out to the 2nd baseman or pitcher. She also has trouble getting behind in the count, once shes at an 0-1 count its almost guaranteed that she will be striking out.

We are on a great team but we are afraid that she wont make the cut come tryouts in a few weeks, we absolutely love the parents, coaches and organization. We are putting in a lot of work before tryouts to get better.

[video=youtube_share;lrRjipE9DEE]http://youtu.be/lrRjipE9DEE[/video]

That's a nice swing for a 10u.

She needs to "stay back" more. She is letting her head and upper body move forward as the bat comes around. Then after contact she drifts over the front foot.

When the front foot gets weighted, she needs to have the feeling of almost going backward. Do not let the head go beyond the center point between the feet once the front foot gets down. The swing should finish, sitting on the back foot.

Like this;

female2b.gif

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Sorry for the confusion, she chases pitches that are way to high almost like Pablo Sandoval, but then looks at pitches that are at the upper part of the strike zone. She will be reading all the postings tonight so keep the feedback coming, it helps her to hear it from outside people and also builds her confidence.

May 16, 2010
Sorry for the confusion, she chases pitches that are way to high almost like Pablo Sandoval, but then looks at pitches that are at the upper part of the strike zone. She will be reading all the postings tonight so keep the feedback coming, it helps her to hear it from outside people and also builds her confidence.

I added a video clip to my post, in case you didn't see it.

A video of her game swing would help. Sometimes when hitters move forward and use the arms as she does, on the tee, will reach and lunge even more at live pitches, which sucks out all the power.

May 16, 2010
I meant high but in the zone work to make sure she can defend that part of the zone. I usually work the girls at knees, waist and a high tee about upper belly. The zone tends to be a little lower these days but it still officially does go that high and we do run into umps that call it so I teach it. I took his comment to mean that she has trouble with high strikes in addition to going after high balls. I could be wrong. I was thinking of a player I have that can hit low to mid all day long but can't get anything above her belt line.

OK. Gotcha.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors