Moved thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is it me or is this guy crow hopping all over the place. Also, is he pitching a 10 ball?
That thing looks really small in relation to 11/12 softball.

Yep! And it is legal. Because I was coaching while playing, I never learned to do it, but I wasn't a first string pitcher, so it wasn't a big deal. However, it was my disadvantage. And the ball is 12". He is a big dude, bigger than Hillhouse.

Jun 13, 2009
according to Bill, this guy lives with him during the summer. I would assume they play for the same team but he says this guy is easily the #1 pitcher in the world.

Apr 25, 2010
Folkard comes and stays with Bill for a bit in the summer. It's kind of his home base while he's playing tourneys here in the U.S. Bill hosts a men's tournament that usually falls at the end of July/beginning of August in Erie, PA where some of the best men's teams come to play. From what I understand, that kid can hit around 86mph.

Dec 8, 2009
Get your glasses checked
Ok maybe it's just me but after looking at the video several times and looking at FiveFrames highlighted version I still fail to see the ball rise. It does end up high in the zone.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ok maybe it's just me but after looking at the video several times and looking at FiveFrames highlighted version I still fail to see the ball rise. It does end up high in the zone.

any time you video tape a pitch from an angle, you are not going to get a legitimate perspective. Only a true side view would depict the true trajectory of the pitch. As the ball approaches at a side-angle, it is getting closer and the angle changes, and that affects your perspective. The ball is going up, but the rate of rise is decreasing over distance. Another 50 feet and the ball would be coming on a downward path.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
x
***The Model Pitchers Thread is not for discussion. Please start new threads if you wish to discuss something.--Sluggers***

Everyone, look at the riseball in the attached vide in larger mode (at about 1:09). Sure looks like it goes up to me.

FacingAdamFolkard.wmv - YouTube

What I find interesting is that on a 3-2 count (after the batter steps out of the box at the 2:20 minute mark) the pitcher throws ball four (thus a walk). Batter stays in box and gets struck out on a 4-2 count. Watched it a couple of times:

Ball (1-0 count)
Foul Ball (strike) (1-1 count)
Ball 2 (2-1 count)
Strike (on the riseball) (2-2 count)
Foul Ball (2-2 count)
Ball3 (3-2 count) see 1:56 mark
defensive swing foul (3-2 count)
batter steps out of box at 2:20
Ball 4 (walk?)
Strike 3 batter out?

Are there different rules for men's fastpitch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1