Moved thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
***The Model Pitchers Thread is not for discussion. Please start new threads if you wish to discuss something.--Sluggers***

Everyone, look at the riseball in the attached vide in larger mode (at about 1:09). Sure looks like it goes up to me.

FacingAdamFolkard.wmv - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2009
I just noticed that little tuck back with Ueno's backswing. Generally she has a big backswing, I wonder if that is something she does on the change-up?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
***The Model Pitchers Thread is not for discussion. Please start new threads if you wish to discuss something.--Sluggers***

Everyone, look at the riseball in the attached vide in larger mode (at about 1:09). Sure looks like it goes up to me.

CoachFP - While it's difficult from behind home plate to see the pitch "rise", if you mean the pitch "goes up" high in the strike zone, I agree with you. However, if you are suggesting that it "rises" above it initial plane of trajectory because of the backspin on the ball, I would disagree. If Adam Folkard and the best male fastpitch pitchers throwing 84mph can't make the ball "rise", I don't know how anyone can.

What I find even more interesting is that if you stop the frames right at and after release, Adam's arm briefly goes to the left side on the follow-through (using good IR release) but then he forces the arm into the hello elbow on the second half of his finish well after the ball is released and having zero affect on the spin and velocity of the ball. I don't know why he would not just let the arm continue towards the left shoulder naturally (e.g. Hillhouse)?

Oct 22, 2009
What I find even more interesting is that if you stop the frames right at and after release, Adam's arm briefly goes to the left side on the follow-through (using good IR release) but then he forces the arm into the hello elbow on the second half of his finish well after the ball is released and having zero affect on the spin and velocity of the ball. I don't know why he would not just let the arm continue towards the left shoulder naturally (e.g. Hillhouse)?

Maybe he teaches girls to do this and wants to set a good example...?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
CoachFP - While it's difficult from behind home plate to see the pitch "rise", if you mean the pitch "goes up" high in the strike zone, I agree with you. However, if you are suggesting that it "rises" above it initial plane of trajectory because of the backspin on the ball, I would disagree. If Adam Folkard and the best male fastpitch pitchers throwing 84mph can't make the ball "rise", I don't know how anyone can.

That's really not "hello elbow". His form is not optimal. He falls to his right which takes his arm out there with him. It affects his performance as well. The very next pitch after the "unhittable riseball" is another rise ball that is right down the middle. The guy also is hurt a lot which may or may not have something to do with his mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
x1kshj.gif

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train

Is it me or is this guy crow hopping all over the place. Also, is he pitching a 10 ball?
That thing looks really small in relation to 11/12 softball.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes