Most absurd thing a coach ever said

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2009
Coach: Just throw strikes.

Pitcher (Thinking): What the &$%* do you think I'm trying to do?

I know of a JV pitcher that was told the same thing but for an opposite reason. The previous game she had struck out 14 of the 15 batters she faced. The coach wanted the defense to get practice, so he told her to just put it over the plate. Pitcher replied that she didn't throw batting practice. Coach replied with a "You'll do what I tell you to do."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I played, there was an old man in the bleachers, that would yell at me (while I was batting) "Just hit the ball!"

I used to call my hitting lessons that. :)

Jan 20, 2010
10u...1st and 3rd situation and the coach kept trying to get the girl on first to steal. Pitch after pitch the girl on first refused to steal so the coach just called across the diamond to the girl to watch the signs!!! She nodded and said OK and then pointed at the girl occupying second base (the bases were loaded). I felt like an...I mean that coach must have felt like an idiot.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are a lot of great posts on this board that need to be re-read.

Mine was DD had a cast on her fractured hand, injury occurred earlier in the season:

Manager to DD: How can you hit with that on your hand? You need to take that off.

Or same injury:

Just to let you know DD fracture her hand batting … his response was “it wasn’t her pitching hand was it”

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have been guilty of saying this before. In my defense, however, this was back in 8U and sometimes in 10U when I couldn't remember if we walked in every batter. Once the run count got past the mid teens it was sometimes difficult to remember if the score was 15 or 16.

I have been there too.

Jan 2, 2012
I like when our hs coach said tees are for little kids we don't need them cause these girls are in high school. I new we were in for a long four years.

Oct 25, 2009
I was standing behind the fence at home plate when the ump made a really bad call. Everyone was yelling at him. Not me, I wasn't for either team. But I was amused at the call. He saw me and came over and asked me what I was smiling about. I told him "I'm not smiling, I've got gas." He cracked up.

Jun 20, 2008
An asst coach told the coach of one of my DD's teams about a very good hitter who would have been my leadoff every game but was rarely in there line-up not my DD during a 10 plus pitch at bat that everyone else was impressed with..."She just fouls off way too many pitches..." but wait thats not the worst part...the head coach agreed with him...

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
During a MS game one time, the batter (head coach's DD) had a hair tie around her wrist and the ump told her to take it off. Next time up, it was there again. The ump took his mask off and addressed the HC, who was coaching 3rd, and told him "I warned her once, one more time and you are both out of the game". The coach put his hands on his hips, looked at the batter and said with a scowl "You know, if you get us tossed out of this game, we still have to ride home together, right?!!" Everyone started laughing, but it didn't happen again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez