Most absurd thing a coach ever said

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I wanted to put this out even though it is in reverse, dumb thing a coach said to a parent. This happen 20 years ago went my DD and her brother were playing on the same 8u baseball team. Thanks to the ignorance of some so called purest, the kids were pitching to themselves, but that's another story. I was at work, so this was told to me. I asked their mom how they played and she told me our DD played well. Then I ask how our son did. I was told he was benched because he was insubordinate. You know what he did? two games before he was HBP in a game so he became ball shy. Next game he stepped out the entire game,typical for a 7 YO. So this "coach" in her infinite wisdom sat him down the next game. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When DD was moved up from JV at the end of the season, because she had hit 6 HRs, the coach took her RT away and said that it was too heavy for her.

Jul 28, 2008
I have a parent who did that, so the coach put him in the box and threw pitches at him until he stayed in the batters box. I told the parent that I don't think that would work well for the one girl I have that bails out of the box. I'd be in jail in no time. :) I told him we will bribe her with ice-cream, money, candy....whatever and see if that works.

My own kid wouldn't swing the bat last year until I told her I wanted to swing at EVERY PITCH this at bat. No matter where it was. If she did what I told, we'd go out for ice-cream. It worked. We then started to work on which pitches to swing at. One year later, she's my best hitter and has very good pitch selection and lead the team in hits, average and slugging percentage. It's not a sprint, it's marathon. It's not about this year, it's always about improving child down the road and there are not instant fixes.

Mar 15, 2010
My son's mighty mite Pop Warner coach. My son got ejected for a post play shoving match after he got spiked in the back on a late hit. At the start of the season the coach got on his soap box and preached sportsmanship and how he will not tolerate fighting. After game expecting him to read my son the riot act. Calls my son up to stand next to him and tells my son in front of the team, "way to be a man, I would have done the same thing." I can't stand when coaches do not practice what the preach.

Feb 8, 2009
A high school coach told a girl playing 3rd base that if she backhanded a ball she was lazy. She should be able to square up on any ball hit to her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Most absurd thing a coach ever said? "uh does anybody know what the score is"

We played pick up a few years back. This coach asked the book keeper every game what the score was. Now I can understand maybe losing the count on pitches, but not knowing the score??

And yes, the scoreboards were being repaired that weekend.

Dec 31, 2009
A JV coach from another school said "Can she do that?" Referring to our hitter running to first after a dropped third strike.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Middle school basketball coach, first year ever coaching, 21 yo, was losing in last period (lost every game too). She threw a temper tantrum because the players couldnt do what she wanted. She sat down on bench, and told the girls "Just make up your own plays" and ignored them rest of game and totally stopped coaching the game.

So the girls did make up their own plays, and told the adults after the game, and that was the idiot coaches last game. She was dismissed for mentally abusing the girls.

Mar 15, 2010
Most absurd thing a coach ever said? "uh does anybody know what the score is"

I have been guilty of saying this before. In my defense, however, this was back in 8U and sometimes in 10U when I couldn't remember if we walked in every batter. Once the run count got past the mid teens it was sometimes difficult to remember if the score was 15 or 16.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez