Most absurd thing a coach ever said

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The HC on my DD's new team this year has the pitchers throw batting practice. He tells them "don't throw too hard, just throw 80%". The pitchers all know to ignore him.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I like the people who yell out "Let them hit it" to the pitcher.

That is the exact opposite of what I want my pitchers to do.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've heard a number or parents and coaches scream to pitchers - "Get Mad...Get Angry"...and then parenthetically say to those standing around - "She plays better when she is angry".

Good advice to help a 11 year old learn to perform in life at peak level...Get Angry???????

Oct 10, 2011
12u Rec ball coach says before game "I wanted to let you know that I didn't put your daughter on All Stars because she just wasn't ready yet."
During the game my daughter hit two home runs and one was over the fence. After the game, a couple came up and said we would love to have you daughter on our Travel Team- she went on to get their player of the year:) BTW, his daughter made all stars and was probably the worst one on the team!

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
After a 50 or so game season and 7 tourneys in which my daughter sat maybe 3 games of them, it was the last game of our last tourney. He came up to her and said, I've been watching you throw and I think over the winter we should start you throwing left handed (she is a righty). She asked what he meant, his reply "We'll you have a slight hitch in your throw and it would make more sense to start over instead of trying to fix it"

I was at a lose for words!

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with the 'nutty' statement about tees. I hate them and think they ruin a lot of swings. Was watching a video of a gold team using them and all the balance and posture and rotation was off trying to hit that ball that was standing still. Yuck

Only use them when there is nothing else to use (pouring outside and no gym space left) and also if a HS player is brand new. I see why facilities have to use them, but coaches not really.

So not nutty to me.

Long tee is one of the most productive drills you can do. Many parts of hitting can be worked on with a tee. It's not a warm up tool necessarily. Plus, if you can't hit it correctly sitting still, you're not going to be any better when it's moving.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Good for you but I can pitch to them or do front toss or have my pitcher pitch to them or egads use a pitching machine (everyone claims to hate them, but our customers certainly rent them like they are going out of style).

Do tennis ball or racquetball players (or even cricket, spelling, actually would love to know) hit balls of the tee?

Tees are for golf.
Most MLB players hit off a tee daily.

Oct 25, 2009
Good for you but I can pitch to them or do front toss or have my pitcher pitch to them or egads use a pitching machine (everyone claims to hate them, but our customers certainly rent them like they are going out of style).

Do tennis ball or racquetball players (or even cricket, spelling, actually would love to know) hit balls of the tee?

Tees are for golf.

Do any of those use a bat, except cricket? Cricket players use a cricket tee.

Tees are useful in addition to pitching, etc. If you don't use tees for instruction and repetition, you are leaving out a really useful tool. Major leaguers use them extensively; as do colleges.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez