Most absurd thing a coach ever said

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dds marching band director, was instructing the band to play quieter during one particular move when the whole band would move into a small area. "When you get smaller I want you to be softer" When you tell 105 kids with raging hormones something like this, you are probably on the cusp of losing their attention for a moment.

Jun 30, 2012
NY
We were at a 12u tournament this weekend and there was a game on the field that we were going to play on next. This young lady crushes a ball into the right-center field gap. The catcher is positioned in front of home plate, giving the runner a clear path to the plate. The relay home is a few feet up the third base line. The catcher (reaching for the ball), the runner (starting to slide) and the ball all get to the same spot at literally the same time. There is a collision and the catcher winds up on top of the runner, with the ball right next to them...a foot from the plate. Catcher picks up the ball and tags the runner. The umpire calls her out. Runner gets up and goes to her bench, crying along the way, but is OK. Catcher's coach asks if the catcher if she is OK. She was.

As this is going on, the batter/runner's coach goes ballistic saying that there was catcher's obstruction..... she can't block the plate without the ball....she should have been safe...that the ump blew the call, etc.

Now, here are the absurd comments the coach said. After realizing the call wasn't going to be changed, he starts yelling "So, that's the way it is? Next time, we are going to bowl her over and make her cry. If she is standing there, she will be knocked over. She will be the one the ground crying." He then turns to his team and said "if she is blocking the plate, run her over, make her cry". A parent in the stands is yelling similar comments. The catcher couldn't have been more than five feet tall and probably weighed 90 lbs, soaking wet. It was a bang-bang play, just two girls trying to make a play for their teams.

The ironic part of this whole thing is that the catcher's coach gets tossed from the game. After around 20 seconds of the "We're going to run her over" talk and since the umpire was doing zero to stop it, he came out of his dugout yelling "enough of this, she is 11 years old. Blue get control of this situation." Not 20 seconds after coming out he was ejected for not returning to the bench.

Ahhhh, travel softball.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
I was watching the game before our game at a tournament and watched the 3rd base coach come unglued on his 3rd base runner for not tagging up on a fly ball. Blue warned him to stop, and then he tossed him. First time I've ever seen a coach tossed for berating his own player.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
13 y/o DD subbing for a team indoors hit her first home run AND it was a grand slam AND they won 4-3. After getting back to the bench HC tells her, "if that was outside it would've been caught". He failed to see that the ball went well over 200ft before it landed.

Jun 11, 2013
I noticed how some teams just play the same defense no matter who is up.

We'll play a team in pool and our 4th hitter will go 3-3 with an HR, and 2 long doubles. She gets up the next day
and the 1b and 3b are playing in to protect against the bunt. I just shake my head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez