Most absurd thing a coach ever said

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I've heard a number or parents and coaches scream to pitchers - "Get Mad...Get Angry"...and then parenthetically say to those standing around - "She plays better when she is angry".

Good advice to help a 11 year old learn to perform in life at peak level...Get Angry???????

So I shouldn't tell my DD to hit the ball with some "violence"? Because last time I told her that she hit the first pitch for a bases clearing double. And the parents in the stands liked my advice. Some girls have to be reminded that relaxing too much doesn't make for a great player either.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
..After asking who DD's hitting coach was, where he worked, and clearly being unimpressed with either:
"They teach that High-level, MLB swing over there don't they."

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So I shouldn't tell my DD to hit the ball with some "violence"? Because last time I told her that she hit the first pitch for a bases clearing double. And the parents in the stands liked my advice. Some girls have to be reminded that relaxing too much doesn't make for a great player either.

yeah...I disagree with this one too. Get a little mad is a fine cue for being more aggressive. It doesn't mean your DD will end up as a husband beater.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
..After asking who DD's hitting coach was, where he worked, and clearly being unimpressed with either:
"They teach that High-level, MLB swing over there don't they."

We don't want none of that MLB stuff 'round these parts. C'mon, girls! Squish the bug and swing level!!

Apr 14, 2011
A player made the same mistake a couple of times during practice...coach tells her "If you were my daughter, I'd call you stupid"

Yikes!

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
yeah...I disagree with this one too. Get a little mad is a fine cue for being more aggressive. It doesn't mean your DD will end up as a husband beater.

Lol-agreed. It may actually mean shell stand up for herself when things get aggressive.

What if he deserves the beating.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I know in the heat of battle many coaches say things that to a bystander dont come out right. Usually the girl knows exactly what the coach means because they have discussed it and even practiced it.

Ive caught myself so focused that its like Im back in the shop 1 on 1 with a pitcher where we have many types of conversations and discuss many situational items. Sometimes its a think tank.

In those moments its me and the pitcher working together and I forget theres others around so cues to previous conversations are going to be misunderstood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez