More early batspeed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree that TTB is supination. I think the alternative is radial/ulnar deviation that is more like a karate chop.... which necessitates the instruction to stay inside the ball....and often results in back side flairs from dragging the bat by the knob.
Learning to TTB fixes all of that.

Yea, folks that struggle with swinging down (Bobby Tewks) to the ball never put themselves into a leveraged position so the hands could be pulled vs pushed, so they ended up chopping down on the ball out front..

Hands being pulled by the core.

VyPOGHT.gif

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

May 12, 2016
The grammar correction is to point out an example of you thinking you're saying one thing, but you're actually saying something else. You had one intent but you're actions were completlely different. I hope you're capable of understanding the analogy.
Who's Julie!
Very bad analogy, maybe if 50 literal geniuses all made the same mistake in this thread, then yeah it would be applicable. I hope the gravity of that statement is not lost on you, :). Comparing me to a literal genius is much the same as comparing you to Mike Trout ;) . Me telling Shakespeare he doesn't understand how he wrote Hamlet, is almost like you telling Trout he doesn't know how he swings the bat, how dareth you. Anyway enough derailing the thread and this silliness :)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I have been reading that conversation but I have decided to stay out of it. I have mixed opinions about drills in general. Every hitter is different... And if a hitter (especially a pro) believes there is a benefit to a particular drill they do, I am not opposed to it. In some cases it may be a real physical benefit. In others it may just be a perceived benefit (similar to a placebo). If they trust it, sometimes that's all that matters.

At the same time I see lots of young baseball and softball players performing drills in groups with very little instruction. At least 75% of them are doing the drills incorrectly. In those cases the drill is not helping at all. In fact, I would argue that it is causing more harm than good.
Not having the right instruction, performing the drills incorrectly is going to cause problems period. Doing things incorrectly generally results in poor results in life period. I don't what else to say about that.. it's such an irrelevant point. I am fairly certain the pros know exactly what they are doing and performing their drills correctly. You've recommended drills on here before right? So you must have faith and see importance of drills .. we all assume you mean for the drill to be done correctly.

All these pros who practice hitting the ball UTM and to opposite field. Why do you suppose they do that? I mean they keep saying why they do it in their interviews and articles. It's not like blind trust, they have results to prove what they preach/practice is effective. It's not a wild radical ideal to believe what they are practicing helps them be a better hitter, the best hitters in the world. As a matter of fact, to argue against it is blind and a radical idea.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not having the right instruction, performing the drills incorrectly is going to cause problems period. Doing things incorrectly generally results in poor results in life period. I don't what else to say about that.. it's such an irrelevant point. I am fairly certain the pros know exactly what they are doing and performing their drills correctly. You've recommended drills on here before right? So you must have faith and see importance of drills .. we all assume you mean for the drill to be done correctly.

All these pros who practice hitting the ball UTM and to opposite field. Why do you suppose they do that? I mean they keep saying why they do it in their interviews and articles. It's not like blind trust, they have results to prove what they preach/practice is effective. It's not a wild radical ideal to believe what they are practicing helps them be a better hitter, the best hitters in the world. As a matter of fact, to argue against it is blind and a radical idea.

It's all in the interpretation. If it works for the pro, great. If you understand the process and are able to teach it to your DD in such a way that she benefits from it, great again. But a level of care and understanding is required. Without that, much of what the pros say can be misinterpreted and applied incorrectly. Much the same with certain other hitting systems. When someone over exaggerates a movement and others try to apply that over exaggeration, problems can occur. TTB is a great example of that. Overbake it, and you can develop problems. But the videos you have been posting are no different. If someone overbakes the movements or takes them too literally, problems will occur. My point is that parents need to be careful no matter what path they choose.

May 12, 2016
It's all in the interpretation. If it works for the pro, great. If you understand the process and are able to teach it to your DD in such a way that she benefits from it, great again. But a level of care and understanding is required. Without that, much of what the pros say can be misinterpreted and applied incorrectly. Much the same with certain other hitting systems. When someone over exaggerates a movement and others try to apply that over exaggeration, problems can occur. TTB is a great example of that. Overbake it, and you can develop problems. But the videos you have been posting are no different. If someone overbakes the movements or takes them too literally, problems will occur. My point is that parents need to be careful no matter what path they choose.
Just so we are clear, I am not posting to try to convince a parent to take the drill and apply it to their DD's training program. I am posting because this is what the pros do, these are the drills they perform, this is the focus in their drills, and we see the result in their swing and productivity... How can anybody argue that?

But since we are on the topic, if your goal is a HL swing, why wouldn't you emulate what the pros are doing? Of course you need to be careful. I am not seeing the pros force/induce/practice TTB.

Jul 29, 2013
Very bad analogy, maybe if 50 literal geniuses all made the same mistake in this thread, then yeah it would be applicable. I hope the gravity of that statement is not lost on you, :). Comparing me to a literal genius is much the same as comparing you to Mike Trout ;) . Me telling Shakespeare he doesn't understand how he wrote Hamlet, is almost like you telling Trout he doesn't know how he swings the bat, how dareth you. Anyway enough derailing the thread and this silliness :)
And there you go again.... if I were to take your comment literally, I would assume you were talking about an actual (literal) genius. But I know enough in the context of this discussion to understand that you're intent is to refer to an expert in literature. That would be a "literary" genius. But then we're talking about grammar, not literature. I don't believe genius is necessary for the simple use of contractions.
In the future, I'll assume that you aren't capable of understanding analogies and so I'll spell it out for you.....
Kids aren't going to interpret, they'll take you literally (not books). So if you give them a drill and tell them to stay on top of the ball, they probably will hit down on the ball.
So why not show them the correct swing to begin with?

Jul 29, 2013
Just so we are clear, I am not posting to try to convince a parent to take the drill and apply it to their DD's training program. I am posting because this is what the pros do, these are the drills they perform, this is the focus in their drills, and we see the result in their swing and productivity... How can anybody argue that?
So if I'm ever coaching a pro, I'll know how to do it.
Thanks for the tip!

May 12, 2016
And there you go again.... if I were to take your comment literally, I would assume you were talking about an actual (literal) genius. But I know enough in the context of this discussion to understand that you're intent is to refer to an expert in literature. That would be a "literary" genius. But then we're talking about grammar, not literature. I don't believe genius is necessary for the simple use of contractions.
In the future, I'll assume that you aren't capable of understanding analogies and so I'll spell it out for you.....
Kids aren't going to interpret, they'll take you literally (not books). So if you give them a drill and tell them to stay on top of the ball, they probably will hit down on the ball.
So why not show them the correct swing to begin with?

Triggered much? you are so mean Bobby, :). I think we can safely conclude that I need to stick to ball, and you to literature.

BTW, my inability to write provides more reasons why your analogy is a bad one. See what I did there.. ;)

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
So if I'm ever coaching a pro, I'll know how to do it.
Thanks for the tip!
We need to maintain some integrity here, please do not modify my post when responding. If you can't understand what the pros are saying, then I strongly advise you against teaching it. "Welcome to Bobby's school of hitting. No drills, no instruction, just try to hit HR's. Who wants to hit like a pro anyway?"

Do you believe a good baseball and softball swing is the same?

Basketball: Do you want to shoot a basketball like Curry
Hockey: Shoot the puck like Webber?
Golf: Drive a ball like McIlroy
Baseball: Hit the ball like Trout

Your instruction includes, look at these pros, now do what they are doing. WTF???? You need to practice like them. You just can't say hit a HR, drive the ball 300 yards, shoot the puck 100 m/hr etc etc. There's more to it than that. It's just pure ignorance not to listen/practice what they are preaching because you think you know better or because it doesn't fit your agenda

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
We need to maintain some integrity here, please do not modify my post when responding. If you can't understand what the pros are saying, then I strongly advise you against teaching it. "Welcome to Bobby's school of hitting. No drills, no instruction, just try to hit HR's. Who wants to hit like a pro anyway?"
Post not modified, just a bold faced emphasis/understanding of the meaning of your words.
Not "try" to hit homers. "Do" the things necessary to hit homers by emulating an actual home run swing.
No feelings here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC