Mizzou pitchers and the mask or no mask question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Why does the NCAA not require cages on batting helmets when every level of play before college does?

I would also ask why a good number of players who grew up wearing a facemask on a batting helmet, go without at the first opportunity? I have to think that they do so not as a fashion statement but rather because it impedes their ability to see and track a pitch.

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I literally just saw an 8YO (who was batting) hit herself in the face with a ball she fouled straight back. Don't think I've ever seen that before - fortunately she had a mask on. But why do girls wear them in FP, but they don't use them in baseball? Is there a good reason, or is it just sexism?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I would also ask why a good number of players who grew up wearing a facemask on a batting helmet, go without at the first opportunity? I have to think that they do so not as a fashion statement but rather because it impedes their ability to see and track a pitch.

But a good number don't also. Even in the NPF, where they are getting paid, I would think that if hitting at your best was the goal, that all of them would take them off.

Not arguing, just presenting another thought.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Can we start a Barnhill thread so we can talk about riseballs, masks and crow hops all in one place?

She's a skippy! At least she isn't nearly as bad as before. You can tell she is working on it.

I'm just glad to our (this forum) projections coming true. Quite a number of college freshman wearing masks in the circle this year. The numbers will only increase with time.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I'm just going to leave this here...Earlywine talking about mandating the facemask during today's Georgia/Mizzou game.

[video=youtube_share;6GBcs_ciVcg]http://youtu.be/6GBcs_ciVcg[/video]

My opinion...if the NCAA mandates it, it takes away any question a coach might have about a pitcher's ability because she wears one. High school pitchers who wear them no longer face a recruiting stigma if they do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55