Mizzou pitchers and the mask or no mask question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2013
I was able to catch 2 games on Saturday the weekend. Mizzou/Tenn and UCLA/Oregon. Finucane had a mask on for Mizzou and Kleist was wearing one for Oregon.

I believe slowpitch just put in a mask rule and they are wearing what look like hockey goalie mask.

If the NCAA came out with the rule would be much better. They can add it to the current encyclopedia of rules nobody knows about.

Of course the same coaches that dont like pitchers wearing mask are the same ones that think HE is the only way to pitch.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I wouldn't mind at all if masks were required for pitchers. I'd settle for there being to no stigma attached to those who do. I still don't understand the difference between requiring a batter to wear a helmet and requiring a pitcher to wear a mask. People seem so insistent that requiring a mask for pitchers would signal some sort of unending downward spiral for the sport. Does anybody advocate abolishing the requirement for batter's helmets?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wouldn't mind at all if masks were required for pitchers. I'd settle for there being to no stigma attached to those who do. I still don't understand the difference between requiring a batter to wear a helmet and requiring a pitcher to wear a mask. People seem so insistent that requiring a mask for pitchers would signal some sort of unending downward spiral for the sport. Does anybody advocate abolishing the requirement for batter's helmets?

The argument about abolishing batting helmets is a popular but lame straw-man. Almost as silly as the seat belt analogy. How do you reconcile advocating a face mask for an infielder but not one on a batting helmet? What about baseball? This is the height of hypocrisy. There is no need for a mandate at the college level. I get the idea that most of the folks calling for it are doing so to validate their decision for their own kids who are playing 10U. Odds are the vast majority of those kids will never see a college ball field. Nobody is keeping a kid from wearing whatever mom and dad decide is appropriate, and adults playing college are more than capable of making decisions for themselves.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
We are probably in the last generation of pitchers who will NOT be wearing facemasks. I think going forward everyone will wear them because they are used to them. Making a college pitcher, who has NEVER worn one, do so now might complicate things for her. And spare me the "if she can play in college then she should be able to pitch with a mask", that's a fool's argument. Everyone is different and different things effect others differently. If she believes the mask interferes with her pitching then it does. It might be in her head but it's still there. I never wore one and have been hit all over my body, never in face... but caught many line drives that would've.

Soon, it'll be rule in NCAA and by then it won't matter because everyone will be used to it.

people brought up batting helmets. Those started out LONG after the game started and none had ear flaps. Then, they were allowed to take the helmet off when they got on base. Then that changed. Then the ONE EAR helmet came in, which was soon banned in favor of the 2 flap helmet.

If Mizzou came out and said they were going to require it, he would lose recruits who refuse. But the numbers of pitchers who don't wear them at youth level is almost zero now. So, as I said, it won't be long until everyone is wearing them even without a rule. And the same goes for all infielders.

Bill

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is it possible he'll lose out on recruits if he sticks his neck out and takes that stand? Personally, I think it's great that a college coach would come out in support of masks. You hear so much about how your girl won't be recruited if she wears a mask.

The University of Missouri's new student enrollment is way down, so they have bigger problems than facemask when it comes to recruiting....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Why does the NCAA not require cages on batting helmets when every level of play before college does?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes