Mid tier glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That MVP series is the one I keep coming back to, although I don't see the GMVP 1159P on their site anymore. I'm guessing it must be a prior years model. I'm assuming the one below is the current 11.5 model. Anybody have any experience with it? Or know how it differs from the prior 1159 model.

MVP Prime GMVP1150PF1 Fastpitch Infield Glove | Mizuno USA

The 1150 is what my DD started out with and it lasted her around 4 years before I bought her a "forever" glove. I had to take a crowbar and pry that Mizuno off her hand when it was time to switch. As far as the differences go between that and the 1159, I can't help you.

My very small 10 year old has been using a 12" since she was 9. It is an all leather Wilson, and she loves it!

Yep. That's why all our 10U girls use 11.75" or better. Anything smaller makes hanging on to the ball more difficult than it has to be, and it also necessitates a new glove in the Fall of their 10-year-old year as anything smaller simply doesn't handle the 12" ball well.

I wasn’t saying anything bad about Xeno and I think it is a good opinion.

I just think the posted 11 ¾ seems a little big for 9YO.

The Xeno and Xeno Pro gloves are very different animals. The Xeno is a $65 "game-ready" glove that is designed to be disposable. The Xeno Pro is a $200, high-quality leather glove (similar to the Wilson A2000) that will last for years which just happens to fit small hands very, very well. As well as the older Easton Synergy models which, although inexpensive, fit small 8-9 year old hands better than any glove I've ever seen or used.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD has an Akadema that she likes.

Eric F here is Sales Rep for them.

Thanks for the props, quincy.

I recently got an Akadema ABJ74 (AJB74 Softball Glove: RH/LH Throw 12) for a good friend's 9yo DD who is just starting to play the game. I was pretty impressed with the quality of it. It needed a little bit more work to break in than a typical big-box cheapie, but it looks like it will hold up well.

If yo're interested, PM me for the details.

Apr 1, 2010
DD got a Mizuno 12" MVP (the one in tan/brown leather) when she was 10-11 yrs old? It was a nice glove for her, though she's really always preferred to use her catcher's mitt everywhere. At 8-9 yrs old, she had a less-expensive Mizuno (Franchise model? I got it used off eBay) in 11.5". IMO the Mizunos fit small hands pretty well and their v-flex notch makes them easy for youngsters to close well.

You are probably going to end up buying one glove for 10U and another for 12U, assuming you want something around 11.5 for now. I think she'll probably want to move to a larger glove when she goes up to a 12" ball, especially if she's seeing time in the outfield. IMO it's better to live with the extra expense than to have her try to use something too big for her...

I agree with the advice to take her out and have her try a variety of gloves. Good luck!

Dec 22, 2014
Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to order several of the models mentioned from justballgloves.com and have her try them on. I've checked Academy and Dicks locally, and they don't have them.

Dec 22, 2014
I ended up ordering the 5 gloves below to have her tryout. She immediately fell in love with the GMVP1159P and coming back to it after trying the others. I was hoping she would like one of the 12 inch gloves, but she said they all felt big. So we settled on the GMVP1159P. It is a 11.5 inch glove, but is quite a bit larger than her old Rawlings, which was a supposedly an 11.5 as well.

Mizuno GMVP1209P
Mizuno GMVP1150PF1
Mizuno GMVP1200PF1
Mizuno GMVP1159P
Akadema AJB74

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oct 16, 2014
I also ordered many of the Mizunos you have listed there. I really like Mizuno gloves and those are all nice gloves, BUT they were all too much for my DD. She 9 and has small hands and I personally found all of these gloves were probably tailored more for a Woman's hand. We ended up getting her this "prospect" model as it is cut for a youth hand and it was easy to break in and she was squeezing the ball almost instantly (and no Jennie Finch pink!!) . DD is a pitcher and she will probably wear it out faster than the other Mizunos we tried first but she is also still growing and hopefully by the time we need a new glove she will be ready for the women's. Just my .02 cents

Prospect FP GPL1200F1 Utility Glove | Mizuno USA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish